Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bulletproof your rxp/rxt/gtx 4-tecs

A post i found. Thought it be good to share!

BULLET-PROOF YOUR RXP/RXT/GTX 4-TECS

(1) Make sure your unit has had the hood-latch update done.

(2) Make sure your knock-sensor update is done if your unit qualifies.

(3) Add clamps or stainless-tabbed zip-tyes to your bailer tube check valves, the gray ones inside the rear area of your hull.

(4) Make 110% sure the bailer tubes themselves are securely inserted in the venture.

(5) Secure your bailer hose plastic 90 degree elbows up high in the hull, NEVER allow them to lay-low in the hull or water will inject instead of remove.

(6) Never accelerate “throttle-to-the-bar” unless in at least a 5-6 ft. depth of water to avoid pump/impeller/wear-ring damage.

(7) Anytime the stock Intake Grate is going to be removed always use direct heat on the bolts to free the Loc-Tite, I use a very heavy duty soldering gun as open flames are not to safe for the area. Many broken bolts can be avoided this way.

( When not in use always store with the seat removed to allow all moisture to escape into the atmosphere and not find it’s way into your precious electrics, we fix many machines that have electrical demons that are easily avoidable with this and some well placed, light mists of WD-40 or a similar product.

(9) Fog the engine with the appropriate lube. WD-40 isn’t the right one for fogging.

(10) 80% of the hull repairs we do were not done by the owner……be careful who rides your PWC especially at the speeds they are capable of these days.

(11) Run a blow-off valve for supercharger clutch longevity. It provides no real power gain but is a big reduction in the abuse that is an actual *good method* of solving a tough problem that Rotax had to address when developing this set-up. This keeps the SC shaft from snapping when the pump loads and re-loads at high RPM and heavy loads.

(12) You can take this to the highest level of protection by using a heavy-duty clutch kit from Rotax Racing and combining it with a BOV.

(13) Always avoid running anywhere near any ropes or ski-ropes as they can destroy your hull’s thru-hull passage for the drive-shaft. Most other models are easy to repair in this area, NOT the RXP though. It can be extremely damaging and it is equally if not harder to repair.

(14) Always check your engines oil level when it is at absolute operating temperature and sitting level. Optimum height on the dip-stick is 1/2-3/4 of the way up the indentation on the stick. This is the number 1 cause of engine RPM lose closely followed by damaged impellers, wear-rings and slipping SC clutches.

(15) Replace the spring clamps at the heat-exchanger plate spigots with high quality hose clamps.

(16) Replace the Exit Exhaust Hose with a high quality metal tube designed to handle water and not rust or corrode.
    Last edited by DeeGee; 07-02-2006 at 11:41 AM.

J3ff
    so after u spend 10 grand, then u have to do this so it doesnt break.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

5) Secure your bailer hose plastic 90 degree elbows up high in the hull, NEVER allow them to lay-low in the hull or water will inject instead of remove.

how high do they need to be after doing the thru hull held them with zip ties but not that high but no water enters the hull the 90 degree elbows wich are yellow color right?

Dee: That`s been around awhile, but very good info! I`ve already changed out all the wire clamps and zip ties for SS clamps. The wire clamps for the ride plate/heat exchanger are very important to swap out. Those seem to leak the most...PR...

Are there any photos around that actually show where all these bits are for complete idiots like me?

I never understood the hood latch update

Need to add...
    Install a BILGE
    and if you have the RXT/GTX OPAS block off kit from Riva make sure you get the distributor block off from PPG or you will eventually have a 3 inch hole in your ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff
    so after u spend 10 grand, then u have to do this so it doesnt break.

Hmmmmmmmmmm
    Yes, you do. This is a very useful post. ALL watercraft (toys) have their "gotchas" and it's nice to have someone share the info to maintain it.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinchyle
    I never understood the hood latch update
    pertains to 04 RXPs only.

04 RXPs also need the knock sensor update

Santa Monika, People's Republik of Kalifornia...
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys
    Yes, you do. This is a very useful post. ALL watercraft (toys) have their "gotchas" and it's nice to have someone share the info to maintain it.
    I was thinking exactly the same, but then I thought about my SuperJet, the aluminum impeller it came with, the beancan of an exhaust, the ****ty pole and steering setup and all the parts I had to buy for it...

Stock sucks.

heavy breather

I learned the hard way about the bilge. My Stage III RR rxp has the functional air tubes and the cold air intake ect... so when riding hard in larger surf I ingested water and could not spark. 550 Bilge going in as we speak.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information