Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

02 Polaris Virage cranks but won't start

I have a 2 cyl 2002 Virage that won't start after winter storage.
    Checked a few things and found it was not getting a spark.
    I replaced coil but this had no effect
    It is cranking fine, has new plugs and the battery is OK.
    When I crank it for a minute and remove the plugs, I can see smoke in the cylinders.
    B-4 I spend any more money or drag it off to a repair shop, any thoughts on what I could try?

Thanks

KS

+1
    Re-charge the battery or install a KNOWN good one, you need to make sure you have 10.6 volts at the battery while cranking. If you have low voltage the engine will turn over but NOT start.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Carburetor or fuel injected two cylinder?

Battery voltage must be above 10.5 volts while cranking, measured at the battery, with a multi-meter (not the MFI display).

Thanks for the responses
    Battery is charged (I have 2 and switch them out during my cranking trials)
    It's a carbureted model.
    A guy I know said some times there is no spark on these things if there is no compression. I tried the mixed gas in the cylinders thing and no luck.
    'Air' filter is clean, 2 cycle oil is full.

I have been working on this thing when I have a few spare minutes.
    Downloaded the IM form the website.
    Battery is good. Checked all voltages, resistance etc from the manual and everything checks out.
    I am getting the feeling it is the CDI.
    Issue is still no spark at the plug wires.
    Lanyard switch, plug wires, coil, all check out.
    Thoughts?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

got a call this morning

fellow with a virage 2002 i model, just came out of storage, no spark. Skis don't come any cleaner then this one..never touched by human hands 25 hours on the clock. No knowing much about this model, I checked the obvious, but now I find a whole lotta hurin threads about this exact problem. Low hour skis with no spark. Didn't have my multitester with me, but the battery was brand new and installed by one of the better storage shops in town.

Did anybody ever come up with what the story was with this obvious product fault?

and I also noted this ski had tempo gray fuel lines!..I thought this was a sea-doo issue only.

I've been out of the ski game for 20 years or so when parts still cost less then a mortgage payment. I'd like to take this job on, but I don't want to be on teh short end of the stick without some idea on how to fix it. I can obvioulsy trace the wiring and all, but there are way too many reports of this type of problem for me to think it isn't something that would be a no brainer.

the fellow claims it was running when it went int storage..just like the OP's.

No vermin chewing on the wires either.

any new ideas?

+1
    Battery
    Make sure you have at least 10.6 at the battery while cranking the engine. New battery or not I've seen bad ones wayyy too many times not to start here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    2002 Virage i model...
    ...this ski had tempo gray fuel lines!..I thought this was a Sea-Doo issue only...
    Ears perk up

Was ALL Tempo fuel line bad stuff, or only some years (a pre-2002 problem, I am hoping).

Also, are the fuel injected Tempo fuel lines the same material as the troublesome Tempo lines, which I thought only applied to the lower pressure carbureted models?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

taking on the "virage effect"

Virage Effect; ADJ:
    When a ski with low hours ignition system suddenly goes belly up for no good reason.

well being a gambling man, I called the guy and told him to drop the virage off at the shop tomorrow so I could take a crack at "fixing it". Hate to see him at the lake for the weekend without being able to use this beautiful ski. Might snag a ride on it too if I can wrangle it into shape

I'll let you all know how it goes..and of course the new battery is a bit suspect. I noticed evidence that it may have been jump started, but since we're a small town, my pointing fingers stay in the holster.

Printed the manuals and thread info, and I'll also report on if the gray tempo fuel lines in this ski are identical to the gooey ones I pulled out of a 96 seadoo last month I've got a lot on my plate tomorrow..but I'm anxious to get to the bottom of this problem as it will be some lucrative work for me if I can earn my wings on this fellows ski. I'm doing it for a really good price too..No run..no charge. I'll go to "school" for a few hours tomorrow. The ski is virgin..it should be a pleasure to work on.

I'm a little tired of working on other peoples mistakes lately, money aside, I _still_hate greasy bilge water and stripped and broken bolts.

if you have some luck to spare..I'm waiting...

+1
    Check the basics too, of course.
    Compression, spark, fuel pump pressure...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information