Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris Virage

I have a 2004 Polaris Virage with 45 hours on it. I'm trying to get it started for the summer and it won't even turn-over. The only thing that happens is the speedo goes up to 80, then immediately down to 0. I haven't winterized it or serviced it, so that might be part of the problem. I just got a new battery last summer too. Does anyone know what is going on here?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

Please don't post the same issue in multiple sections - General Discussion will do for most things

I would start with downloading the 2002 Service Manual
    Look through the diagnostic information, and the recommended storage procedures,

Check the battery negative cable at both ends for corrosion. If you have a multi-meter, confirm ZERO ohms between the battery negative post and the metal engine block.

Then measure the voltage at the battery posts while attempting to crank. You need more than 10.5 volts during cranking. If you don't have that, then the battery may have gone bad (which can happen during storage, especially if it was left hooked up all winter without being on a battery maintainer).

Also check the battery positive connections (red cables) for corrosion or looseness, at every connection.

If you have old gasoline in there - did you add some fuel stabilizer before it was stored? If not, the fuel might be part of the problem now. Gasoline starts to degrade after about 30 days, especially the stuff with ethanol mixed in.

Just a reminder, the safety lanyard must be in place for the engine to start.

+1
    Re-charge the battery!
    Make sure you have at least 10.6 at the battery while trying to crank.
    Clean the connections at the battery and engine ground.
    Do you get a "click" when the starter buttonis pressed?

+1
    Combine these two threads.

Sorry about the double post. I posted in How-to then decided that General would be better.

Anyway, I got it started. The battery wouldn't hold a charge so I had to get a new one.

One last thing. Are you supposed to disconnect the battery for the winter? I think that might have killed it, because the LED display is always on when a battery is connected.

+1
    It's a very good idea,keepit on a trickle charger off season as well.
    When connecting the battery, make it a single solid attachment.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    ...The battery wouldn't hold a charge so I had to get a new one.

...Are you supposed to disconnect the battery for the winter?
    If you leave the battery connected, you must use a battery maintainer to keep the battery in good shape.

As you have noted, the PWC electronics do slowly drain the battery. Once the battery goes flat, it's remaining life is drastically shortened, even if you could get it to re-charge the next spring

Don't use a cheap 'trickle charger', those are often sized for large car batteries, and they overcharge the little PWC batteries. Even 2 Amps is way too much, on a constant basis.

If you take the battery out of the hull, or just disconnect it, it is still a good idea to re-charge it every couple of months, or better yet use a battery maintainer, which is what I use.

I like the VDC Electronics products, but there are others around.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If you take the battery out of the hull, or just disconnect it, it is still a good idea to re-charge it every couple of months, or better yet use a battery maintainer, which is what I use.
    Is the maintainer just something I hook up like the trickle charger?

battery tender...they can be had from ebay for $25 for the small one. Its all you need. Charges at up to 3/4amp. it has a quick disconnect harness. keep it plugged in when you're not using the ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    Is the maintainer just something I hook up like the trickle charger?
    For me, the term 'trickle charger' implies a cheap/dumb charger that does not stop when the battery is really full, and keeps pushing power (at a low level, not at the normal charging rate, but still more than float voltage).

A battery maintainer, for me, means a product that monitors the battery condition, charges it fully to 100% (for which the last portion of the charge takes a while to complete), then backs off to maintain only a 'float' voltage, which does not continue to attempt to charge the battery, but merely maintains it at the 100% charged condition over time.

Some products called 'trickle chargers' do in fact have enough smarts to back off to maintain float voltage once the final 100% charge is achieved, but often the 'trickle chargers' are not that good.

I think the Battery Tender brand product does correctly maintain the battery at 100%, without overcharging. I have not used one myself.

A battery maintainer and a trickle charger hook up the same way as any other charger. The best ones have a temperature sensor to monitor the temperature of the battery (which is the best way), or at least the temperature of the air around the charger (which is better than not monitoring temperature at all).

Temperature compensation is important, because the same voltage that is correct to charge a battery at one temperature, would be too much, or too little, voltage to correctly charge the same battery at a different temperature. The temperature of the battery itself is the determining factor, not the air temperature.

Over charging a battery is one way to really shorten its useful life. The other way is to let the battery deeply discharge.

The best way to maximize battery life is to keep it fully charged, but not overcharged, not even a little bit. That requires a battery maintainer, if you are not running the PWC often enough to keep the battery well charged.

The VDC Electronics charger/maintainer product (which I use), in addition to properly maintaining the battery at 100% charge, also runs a fluctuating high frequency AC current through the charged battery, which slowly reverses the effects of sulfation. Sulfation is the actual failure mechanism for common lead-acid batteries.
    Last edited by K447; 06-16-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information