In need of some measurements.

Hi guys, for those that know me know I have a 1996 XP800 and have been going over this thing with a fine toothed comb. A quick run over of what I have been finding. I replaced the stator last week, the machine ran perfectly for about a minute or two. I removed the new stator to find it had melted. I now have the engine completely free inside the hull and positioned so the stator housing is facing up towards the seat. I removed the flywheel, used a Dremel on a low speed with a small sanding drum and fiber polishing wheel, and cleaned up the inside surface of the flywheel. I noticed the stainless steel sleeve used to protect the magnets has a crack in it. My thought is there is either rust underneath it forcing it to come into contact with my stator, or there was water in there and froze blistering the sleeve. What I hope to find out is, if anyone has one of these engines out for whatever reason and the flywheel is in good shape. Can you give me the measurement of the flywheel's inside diameter and wall thickness? I checked the crank bearings and there is no play at all so I can only assume the stator is being rubbed by the flywheel swelling. Thanks for the input everyone. I'm open to any other suggestions as well.
    Last edited by Schwarzenegger; 06-14-2008 at 12:51 PM.

+1
    Dont bother with the measurements....Replace it.

Not at 500 bucks dude!

+1
    I have one here I would sell for $60 plus shipping & I see them on ebay all the time.

If it's in good shape and you don't mind, hang onto it for me? I can't swing it right now...next pay is when everything comes out at the same time so I like to know it will all be taken care of. Send me a pm though sometime in about a week and a half and we'll go from there. Thanks guy

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You should consider changing the rectifier too...most of the time when one goes bad, the other gets fried.

I think you're right on that too. I really don't think the first one went bad or my brand new replacement, but when I replaced all the electronics I think the third one melted down. Both rectifiers (original and brand new replacement) didn't boil over the battery when hooked up. The third one did when installing the new gray box. I am going to try the original gray box again now that I know it was my stator and flywheel all this time and keep the other for parts if ever I need them.

Thread Information