Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Pulley kit, Which one to Choose?

My intercooler upgrade will be in soon and I have the other things that I wanted for my ski. The next step is the pulley kit. My dilemma is that I don't ever want to run race gas. R&D has their stage 1 kit that is expensive but is set up for different pulleys. They also have their lower version that doesn't come with the injectors and is only set up for the 1 to 1 pulley. Also, I talked to R-Rated and they said that they are designing their own kit. My question is, with future kits that are going to come out for the Ultra, are they going to require race gas? If they are, I will probably get the cheaper version from R&D. If not, then I will either get the stage 1 kit from R&D or maybe wait a little bit and see what R Rated comes out with. Any input fellows?

+1
    Are you concerned with warranty coverage or keeping stock appearance?

Jason

+1
    Not worried about warranty. My dealer is an ass when it comes to warranties, so I decided to not purchase the warranty. Only time will tell if I made a mistake or not. So far so good, but at least its paid off.

+1
    ok then my suggestion

Walbro GSS342 pump and install kit $105 search the web install kits with butt splices will be the best
    pulley 1 to 1
    external regulator approx $140 from summit aeromotive or magnafuel (fuel injected pressure rated)
    fuel lines and connectors

In my opinion this is all you need to run the 1 to 1. I strongly suggest the external regulator and pump. I have been talking to a few other people and my own experience suggest the fuel pump is a requirement. I have figured out quite a bit on how the Kawi does it fuel mapping and you want plenty of fuel pressure and volume at all times. Fuel is not the area to skimp in with forced induction engines.

I suggest reviewing the projects page and Skip's page for an idea of installation. If needed I will give you my phone to call if you get stuck.

I would purchase my pulley and lines from r-rated. I say that because when I went to do my kit I wanted to help the person who would be helping me. If I was going to call and need advice or help with the install I wanted the relationship to be both ways. With some of the things that have came up I do not regret the decision at all.

I still share my money with the online store, but for major items I may need help with I will spend my money with the person who has raced the Kawi and can give me experienced advice.

1 more thing set base fuel pressure at 45-47 psi and you will be fine on fuel.

This is just my opinion

You dont need the fuel controller?

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1

Great thread and info

Jason, totally love the results from what you've done and can't wait to study a bit more closely. You have clearly dove in and took the bull by the horns. Thanks for sharing what you've worked hard on.

1. With your AFR findings running this set up, do you see any need for a powershot knowing that there are peeps from all different climates and water temps visiting here?
    2. Did you personally have to make any adjustments for your area with the powershot running this configuration?
    3. Should we clarify that we are talking about a 2007 Ultra 250X and it's fuel mapping?

+1
    On my ski when I could hold fuel pressure I did not need it. I curently have yellow at 1.5 w/ 45 psi pressure. Red is set at 4, but honesly I did that to try and lower a/f some more. I found during tuning with the power I am making the controller has very little to no affect on a/f. I do not want to go into details on why I think that is. But I am not the only one to share that opinion.

Another thing I noticed is the factory boost guage reads at least up to 15 psi. The first time I cracked the throttle WOT a/f went to 11.8 to 12.0 and held w / no fuel controller input. The map and the TB (the major sensors temp is probably included)sensor are the only things on the ski telling the ECM what load is and apparently the ecm and injectors have enough room to support the 1 to 1. The key is you have to maintain fuel pressure and volume.

Now the disclaimer, this is my opinion and based on what I have seen. I guarentee I can get the same results with my regulator as anybody can with the fuel controller. I am willing to bet on my ski I can get better control with the regulator versus the controller.
    Last edited by spaulding; 06-14-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: clarification

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by earthshaker View Post
    Jason, totally love the results from what you've done and can't wait to study a bit more closely. You have clearly dove in and took the bull by the horns. Thanks for sharing what you've worked hard on.

1. With your AFR findings running this set up, do you see any need for a powershot knowing that there are peeps from all different climates and water temps visiting here?
    2. Did you personally have to make any adjustments for your area with the powershot running this configuration?
    3. Should we clarify that we are talking about a 2007 Ultra 250X and it's fuel mapping?

1-no tune with fuel pressure the results are much better
    2-see answer above I did, but it is not required I could set base at 47 and been done.
    3-yes this 07 ultra

+1
    I need to clarify something I added to the yellow to lower a/f some during midrange cruise. I did this to lower egt and provide a cooler transition to WOT. All preference and not required a/f was still within range.

+1
    More information

Ok, with stock injectors and the pulley kit and a good control of fuel pressure when do you need more fuel?

At cruise you have adjusted the throttle to maintian adequate speed, fueling requirements are the same as stock.

At idle fueling requirments the same as stock.

There are two times you need more fuel:

transition from cruise to WOT, and once the WOT loading is higher than your stock ski was. The ecm appears to take care of this in my opinion. The higher fuel pressure takes care of enrichement more than stock.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information