Thread: MFD problems

Jared of Oklahoma

MFD problems

I know this horse has been beat to death on here but here I go. On my 94 SLT 750 the MFD has worked great since I put the ski back together, however the other day at the lake the reset button kept popping not long after the ski was semi submerged. I drained it out let it dry out good and then started running it and it ran great. Not long after the reset button popped. This happened several times and it took me a while to find some wires that were bare and causing a short. I cleaned them up and temporarily wrapped them in black tape until I could fix them properly. But then I noticed the MFD was dead. I tried the reset using the mode button and still nothing. I checked on here and everyone says check the fuse inside the electrical box. So I did, and I found a glass or plastic clear old style fuse inside and no it was not or did not appear to be bad. and the the manual does not give much more trouble shooting tips than that for the MFD. What do I do now? The brown wire and the other wire for the MFD appear to be good. Should I go ahead and replace the fuse inside the box anyway?? and if so what size should it be??

thanks guys for any wisdom you can share
    Jared
    Last edited by jarcynvicnchris93; 06-14-2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling

+1
    The fuse is 1/4 amp, test it with an ohmmeter and verify if it's good or bad.
    You can also verify you have power and ground at the MFD. If there's no power, check the fuse first.
    If it has power and ground, I'd say disconnect it for a couple of hours and try your luck.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The 1/4 amp fuse has such a fine wire if it popped you may not even see it. use a OHM meter and check it.The try what AL said. Maybe it fried something in the MFD,not sure if it could happen or not. Let us know what you find. And you just gave away one MFD that needed work didn't you?

Jared of Oklahoma

MFD

yeah I prob shouldn't have given it away but it didn't work that I know of so I thought maybe someone else could use it for something. I will replace the fuse this weekend and see if that helps. The next time I buy another parts ski I will set aside the MFD just in case.. I am starting to aquire a pretty decent pile of extra parts. I may even have one the cranks I have rebuilt this winter to have on hand as a spare.

Is the fuse something standard you can buy at an auto parts store?

RiverRat19405, im a rat in the water RiverRat19405's Avatar
    I couldnt find them at my auto store bbut radio shack has them

are they something standard that I could find easily at Radio Shack? I'd like to go get some before taking the elec box all apart so I can just check it and change if necessary while at the lake. I can't imagine there are too many 1/4 amp fuse options there, but I thought I'd ask.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsonator View Post
    are they something standard that I could find easily at Radio Shack?
    I'd like to go get some before taking the electrical box all apart so I can just check it and change if necessary while at the lake. I can't imagine there are too many 1/4 amp fuse options there, but I thought I'd ask.
    Standard size glass fuse, about 1.25" long, maybe 1/4" diameter.

Very standard stuff for electronics, almost any 1/4 Amp glass fuse that is the correct physical size should work.

BTW, there are some cylindrical fuses that are the same size and so on, but the insulating sleeve is made of a ceramic material instead of glass. Those are OK to use, too.

Thread Information