Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SkiOnDaBrain

I'm a retard and need help

Okay so today i'm on my GPR and was near shore and was going to cut it hard and turn back but realized that i was too close so i let off the gas. Well i was going about 10-15mph and hit a big tree trunk head on. I didn't hit any rocks, etc. and the tree was in the water about 2 feet from shore because the water is so high from rain. So, the front is cracked just above the bumper and it doesn't leak or take on any water. I towed it to shore at about 5mph and it's on the Hydroport. I'm bringing it home tomorrow to check it out.

Now here's my question...

Just after this happened i tried to start it up. It briefly kicks over and then just stops. When i say kicks over, i mean maybe one rotation and that's it. It doesen't even come close to trying to start. So i know it's not a loose wire or it wouldn't do anything. What could have happened under the seat from hitting a tree trunk at 10-15mph? I'm definitely open to all suggestions/opinions and i'll know more when i bring it home (i didn't have the trailer and it's at the marina on the Hydroport).

Please, please chime in with any experience in this area because i'm stumped as to what could have happened to cause the motor to just barely turn over for 1 second and then stop.

Thanks in advance for you advice.

Erik

+1
    Did you check to make sure the pump/ prop / intakes are clear or sticks and garbage?

check the motor mounts, sudden impact may of knocked the engine loose and when the engine starts it may bind on the pto coupler if misaligned maybe?

SkiOnDaBrain
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    check the motor mounts, sudden impact may of knocked the engine loose and when the engine starts it may bind on the pto coupler if misaligned maybe?

The motor mounts were my first thought due to the momentem. If this is the case, what does it entail to check the pto coupler? Would the motor have to be removed? I don't have any experience in that area.

on your gpr there might be a black shroud in the back of the engine, pto side(3rd cyl). Take that off and see if the two couplers are still together. There should only be 1 mm-2mm between the two couplers.

SkiOnDaBrain
    Thanks Kris. When you say coupler do you mean the powervalve couplers? I'll definitely check it out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by emcewin View Post
    Thanks Kris. When you say coupler do you mean the powervalve couplers? I'll definitely check it out tomorrow.
    no, no where the engine connects to the intermediate shaft. nothing with the pvs. Here is a pic. I circled it in red.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4438.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	77732  

just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar
    Just a thought:
    If you TOWED It back at any amount of speed. you "can back feed water into your motor by water coming up the jet pump hose, and filling the exhaust. with the engine not running it IS Possible to fill you cylinders with water"
    In the manule it says: Block off the water cooling line off with visegrips(or a clamp I think it says) before towing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    This would be my guess too

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by great lakes gpr 1200 View Post
    Just a thought:
    If you TOWED It back at any amount of speed. you "can back feed water into your motor by water coming up the jet pump hose, and filling the exhaust. with the engine not running it IS Possible to fill you cylinders with water"
    In the manule it says: Block off the water cooling line off with visegrips(or a clamp I think it says) before towing.
    This is a possibility too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information