Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Left motor vibration and spiking RPMs???

Left motor vibration and spiking RPMs???

So I was out on the water and then out of no where my left motor started to vibrate and spike in RPMs before the right motor would? What the hell is this? Seems like something in the pump or the impeller is lose?

I am going to bring it to the dealer Monday morn.

could have sucked something up into the pump. visually check from both ends to see if you can see anything. Hopefully it is nothing serious.

+1
    Ok there was a small stick in the prop the size of a finger. So now why would the shaft slip to make the rpms jump? I thought it was more of a direct drive from the motor.
    What else can break when this happpens.
    So do you guys think it is fine now?
    I'm going to drop it in the water tomorrow just to make sure its ok.

A small wood-chip wedged on your impeller blade could cause cavitation (rpms "slipping" up) and vibration. Been there. Can be a real nuisance and can also eat up plastic wear rings (wear deep grooves) that will also contribute to cavitation. The pump is a direct drive.

Check it by feeling the inside surface of the wear ring to see if it is grooved up.

I have found that steel wear rings have helped prevent the typical schwag from staying jammed for long.

+1
    It doesnt seem to be drug up bad it just had a circle of brown that wipes off with my finger.

So if i change them out i should go steel?

Seems like you should be fine.

Though I am happy with the steel rings, some think they are more expense and trouble than they are worth. I have heard that contact with the impeller blades will cause the blades to wear out when they otherwise might not. Apparently, the whole purpose of a "wear ring" is to cause the cheaper piece (the ring) to sacrificially wear to preserve or prolong the impellers.

My experience with less junk getting caught translating into uninterrupted sunny boating days has made it worth the extra for the steel rings.

I'd rather replace the impellers once a season (though I'm well into two) than deal with the frustration of great boating days being diminished or ruined by typical debris.

+1
    Well It sounds like the steel ring is the way to go. Once i have to replace them I will go steel.

not so sure that is a good idea. wear rings are meant to wear and protect the more expensive parts of the pump, impeller for one. it's a cheap and easy job to replace the wear ring.

As you stated, the plastic one held up in this case. Just remove the stick and you are good to go. get a rock up there and you will be glad you have plastic wear rings.

cyoungesq,
    Why would you replace your impellers every season? Unless you suck up rocks they should be good for the life of the boat....

I wouldn't unless I had to and don't . . . the (extreme) example I tried to make was that I would rather change my impellers every season than regularly deal with crap getting jammed in my pumps.

Given the little bit of play in the impeller shaft that torque perhaps adds to, I think slight contact between the wear ring and the impeller is inevitable. What I was saying is that in a contest between the steel rings and the impellers, the impellers will lose and may need to be replaced because of this when they otherwise would not. This very slight wearing will ultimately lead to greater clearance between the impeller edge and the steel ring. This will decrease pump efficiency. My solution will be to just install new impellers.

Point being, I'd rather buy new impellers more often as opposed to limping back to the landing, trailering up, and clearing the pump more often.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information