Thread: PROBLEMS!

PROBLEMS!

Alright I took the ski out this weekend (1999 SLX) and as it happens I forgot to put the engine flush plug back on. A friend of mine rode it to the beach we were at and when they got there they said it was sinking. So I go to take a look and it has a lot of water in it. So i pumped all the water out and started it and thats when I noticed that the plug was gone. After a little rigging I worked out a new plug and noticed the display was dead. I knew that the fuse blew so I opened the electrical box and found water in there. I dumped the water out and sprayed the insides with some lube to displace the water. I started the ski and rode off, but it would not go like it should. i took it back to shore and tried to start it again and nothing works. It doesnt crank nothing works I took off all the connections sprayed them and still nothing HELP PLEASE!

+1
    Remove the electrical board and clean the connections.
    If they are rusty or loose replace the board.
    Clean the connectors at the battery, verify the battery is good.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    What did you spray the elec with? Some penetrants will conduct elec, causing a short.

for lack of a better water displacement I used REMOIL which is a cleaner/lubricant maybe it does conduct didn't even think of that. I will go through today and clean board with electrical cleaner and reapply nyogel to all the connections. Also where does the grey wire attach for some reason it was attached to the tan terminal is that right? One more question, what are all the red purple wires for? and how do I test if the battery is still good? Thanks guys!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If the battery is a standard lead-acid battery, and the vent hose was not connected to the battery vent nipple (which is a common oversight), then you may have flooded the battery with water.

If any of the battery cells are FULL of liquid, with no air space at the top, then it is time for a new battery.

It is not worth the trouble messing with a weak battery. Any number of folks on here can tell you stories of using a weak battery, and causing themselves grief.

If you can, spend the money for a good AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery. No vent nipple, fully sealed. Great starting power, reliable, and no possibility of an acid leak into the boat. About $100, maybe a little less.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by explude View Post
    for lack of a better water displacement I used REMOIL which is a cleaner/lubricant maybe it does conduct didn't even think of that. I will go through today and clean board with electrical cleaner and reapply nyogel to all the connections. Also where does the grey wire attach for some reason it was attached to the tan terminal is that right? One more question, what are all the red purple wires for? and how do I test if the battery is still good? Thanks guys!

Grey wire is your limp mode wire, and yes, it does hook onto the tan wire strip.

alright took battery and got it tested at the local auto zone it was good. Got new fuse for the display and installed. Terminal board in good shape as i replaced it just last season. Still have nothing not a piece of electrical working. What one electrical part could cause the whole system to stop working? And how do I test it. I wonder if the round thing the battery connects to in the electrical box went bad would that cause a hole in the electrical system because that's where the battery plugs in? Any ideas?

has anyone had this problem before or have any answers, thoughts about my previous reply?

does anyone know how to test the breaker in the electrical box? also I noticed that there is an open prong on the breaker should there be? I don't remember taking it off but I did open the box to remove the grey wire after the ski wasn't running well, that grey wire was on good too! In fact is there a way to test all the parts in the box one by one if so could someone post a link or list them? Thanks guys!

Happy days boys! After a thourough review of my electrical diagram in manual (shoulda started there huh?) I noticed that a wire was disconnected from the circuit breaker. The red/purple wire that splices into the board, cdi, and breaker had been dislodged because it's a little on the short side and easily pulls off if the box is opened to far. Plugged the bad boy in and I'm up and going once again! thanks for all of you that had input, it's hard to guess the problem when the guy is a little mixed up with his wires huh?

Thread Information