cooling out of water

i have a 1996 sl900 that i have just purchased. i was wondering about running it out of the water and where to hookup a garden hose. i know that there is an inlet on the cooling rail on top, instead of the adapter kit is it possible to just use a 5/8 to 3/4 reducer, then replace the plug after finishing? Also is it possible to install a tee (kind of like in a car) in the inlet line to provide a more even cooling when running it out of the water? if so, where would i install it?

anybody

+1
    You can just attach it to the water rail.
    If you install the T at the water inlet hose just clamp the hose at the intake (pump) side so that the water doesn't just run out the intake and wind upon the ground versus through the engine.
    Be sure to remove the pliers right after you're done flushing so you don't leave the water inlet blocked and cook the engine.

Start Engine
    Turn On Water

Turn Off Water
    Rev a Few Times to Clear Remaining Water
    Shut Down Engine

I put an adapter on the cooling rail, and used a hose cap when I am using the ski on the lake. You can get all parts at lowes for under 10 bucks. I use a washer supply line to hook to the garden hose.

Tim

It works well for me and the adapter looks nice when you open up the engine compartment.

BTW there was a guy selling some flush kits on ebay a while ago, do a search, you'll find some

Quote Originally Posted by TimAtkinson View Post
    I put an adapter on the cooling rail, and used a hose cap when I am using the ski on the lake. You can get all parts at lowes for under 10 bucks. I use a washer supply line to hook to the garden hose.

Tim

It works well for me and the adapter looks nice when you open up the engine compartment.

BTW there was a guy selling some flush kits on ebay a while ago, do a search, you'll find some
    Proper engine cooling is not done with a flush kit. You are running the water backwards thru the engine with a flush kit. Pull the top line from the pump and hook a hose fitting to it. This is the proper way to supply water ,just like under operating conditions!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by prochamp View Post
    Proper engine cooling is not done with a flush kit. You are running the water backwards thru the engine with a flush kit. Pull the top line from the pump and hook a hose fitting to it. This is the proper way to supply water ,just like under operating conditions!!!
    Install the T and just clamp the hose near the pump (or install a ball valve), this leaves all water flow towards the engine.
    Removing and clamping the hose on a continual basis will wear the hose and give the clamp more chances to rip, cut or tear the hose.
    Remember while you do this the pump bearings and seals along with the thru hull is taking a beating as it's not being cooled by the lake water. DON'T run it on the hose very long!!!
    The other real nice thing about a ball valve is IF you need to be towed you can close the valve and not risk water entering and flooding the engine.
    Remember to make sure the ball valve is open when operating on your waterway.

Thread Information