Can someone please help me?? XLT1200

While ride today with my wife, her 04 Yamaha XLT1200 with 100.5 hours started to run VERY rough. So I got on it and the exhaust sound was very muffled the ski itself was very sluggish and the RPMs would not go over 5000. It would not idle at all. It cranks fine with no problem, but you have to keep giving it gas to stay running. So I thought it may be fuel related. Well when I got it home it started right up, but the sound was still muffled. So I thought I would do a compression check on it anyways. Well the rear 2 cylinders have 100 psi and the front one has 0(ZERO). I tried it several times and still nothing. So now what do I need to do? I told my wife I think her engine is done for. I can see the piston moving up and down through the spark plug hole. There have been no mods to this ski at all. I had the cat. con. Replaced at the dealership since it was still under warranty last year. The warranty expired in March this year. Should I get a rebuilt motor or rebuild this one. Where should I get a motor if needed? What is the price range for a replacement motor? I am looking for advice and any help.
    Thanks Troy

sounds like you broke a piston or rings . Same thing happed to mine at 1oo hours . I rebuilt mine . I had to replace a cylinder . I also replaced`the other two pistons and rings plus the power valves in mine for the cost of 1600 in parts ( oem parts). and did it my self. the other option is a crate motor from std. which i just got done putting one in a buddys utra 150... Which will cost you about 1800... If you are a little machincal inclined it is not hard to do. I am new to this site but check with the on line store and see if they have a rebuild kit for the top end or crate motor. good luck.
    Last edited by fishnut; 06-25-2008 at 03:09 AM.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like piston damage pull the head out and see what happened.

+1
    If its still running the stock oil injection you probably lost an oil line...

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    If its still running the stock oil injection you probably lost an oil line...
    No way of knowing until you pull the head and we get a look, it could be a number of things. Could of spun a ring and snagged on exhaust port or dropped a powervalve, etc., etc..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    No way of knowing until you pull the head and we get a look, it could be a number of things. Could of spun a ring and snagged on exhaust port or dropped a powervalve, etc., etc..
    your right... I don't know why I thought he said this ski had a D-plate and Waveeaters on it but I looked again and your right, wayyy too many other causes...

looking for help

Well I did pull the head off and there is damage to that piston. The top ring about 1inch of it came apart. Right above the exhaust port. The powervalve is still intact. After talking to my wife about our options she wanted to replace the entire motor. So I got it with no major issues. While I have it out I looked at it much better and a portion of the top ring was gone and there was also a hole in the side of the piston. And also that one exhaust port was NOT no where as oily as the other 2 good were. So maybe my problem was the oil pump. Well I now have a block off it for that problem. I also have a D-plate waiting to be installed. My carbs are being rebuilt right now. I am waiting on SBT for my motor to finish this job.

I have one more question. I also have a GPR1200 with the same motor. I want to get rid of the oil pump on that one also, but do I have to pull the motor out to do it? Or can I just pull the oil lines off the carbs and plug them?

Thread Information