+1

Once a stick gets stuck in your prop what to do?

Once a stick gets stuck in your prop what to do?

So I got a stick about the size of a finger stuck in my prop. It started to make a bad vibration and the RPMs would spike up and it had no power.
    Today I got under it with a flash light and pulled the stick out.
    Now if I go and throw it back in the water is everything ok?
    I thought it was more of a direct drive setup, so why would it get jammed up like this?
    Last edited by twinturbostang; 06-15-2008 at 06:04 PM.

the stick got jammed between the plastic wear ring and the prop most likely. Without seeing it its hard to say the damage that has been done. The wear ring could be melted and worn..? Did it look smooth inside around the prop? I guess theres also a chance your prop could be damaged but prob not. Worst case scenario is you might have to throw a wear ring in. Its not too hard so dont worry.

Take the ski out and see if it calvitates. Go from there.

+1
    So when a stick gets stuck that wearring spins round so thats why it doesnt have power?

The ring and prop dont look bad at all. I just would like to understand how if somthing gets stuck it doesnt have power, and the shaft wouldnt snap? But if theis wear ring spins with the prop once its stuck that kinda makes sense.

This was on the boat and only the left motor so i was able to drive in with 1 motor.
    I just posted here since i knew more people would look here.
    Last edited by twinturbostang; 06-15-2008 at 07:24 PM.

I got a stick stuck in my X's pump too. Revved it a few times, cavitated badly, then came out. Rode it a while longer with no ill affects. When I replaced my impeller all I found was small scratches in the wear ring and no damage to the impeller. I got lucky because when it happened to my GTX it destroyed the ring. Just inspect it closely, if you find gouges you should replace it, as it will just come apart with the water pressure eventually. The ring dorsn't spin in the housing, the impeller was just dragging it around. Good luck.

+1
    But the prop doesnt change the speed right? It just spins the ring with the prop?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by salsa View Post
    The ring dorsn't spin in the housing, the impeller was just dragging it around. Good luck.
    So if the impeller drags it around then the ring would be spining in the hull no?

Okay,

Here is how the jet pump works... The water is fed to the prop thru the intake tunnel/grate(loacted in front of the prop). The prop is what sucks the water through and the prop spins inside of wear ring (which is the inside of the pump) The wear ring does not spin or move. The prop spins inside of the wear ring with a very tight fit (blades should basically just barely be grazing the wear ring) The water is fed through the blades of the prop and out the back of the pump.

If the wear ring is worn or damaged it will cause calvitation which can be felt and heard. Most of the time slight damage to the wear ring will go unnoticed while riding.

When the stick got stuck it was most likely wedged between one of the prop blades and the wear ring, the prop was just dragging the stick along the wear ring causing more "drag" on the engine which is why you noticed a power loss.

+1
    Ok so the "calvitation" is also a vibration feeling right?

I guess i will find out tomorrow when i throw it in the water.

Yeah, what he said. I guess I didn't clarify that the impeller was dragging the stick around in the wear ring. Sorry for any confusion.

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by twinturbostang View Post
    Ok so the "calvitation" is also a vibration feeling right?

I guess i will find out tomorrow when i throw it in the water.
    Pull that intake grate if you cant get it out. I've pulled Calif. redwoods out of mine J/K. You might be ok, I'm on my 3rd plastic wear ring. Worst case you may have wear ring damage. I had cavitation on hole shoe when my was damaged, top end I could not tell any difference maybe lost 1-2mph.

Thread Information