Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 xpl top speed?

hey guys, i just got a 98 xpl and wanted to know in stock form, what is the top speed supposed to be and what kind of rpms. i was out today and i could only get a best run of 51.8 GPS. seems a little bit slow to me. also, i am new to the whole Variable trim and was hoping you guys could clue me in. it only seemed to be happy in the almost all the way up position. if i put it down it would start to lose speed and sound like a jump in rpms or a spin out. any help would be appreciated. thank you
    Last edited by MysssticGhost; 06-21-2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: UPDATED

speed

should be around 62 mph . i ran my xpl at one dot above center on the gauge . what rpm's is it turning ?

Play with the trim I found you cant trim it all the way up I assumed it would be fastest this way found it went from 52-53 to about 55-56 by putting trim more towards middle. I also found rave valve selenoid not working was killing my RPMS to about 6400 Now with jet kit filters etc I am turning 6950 and maybe 63 MPH or so pulls nice

if the guage is reading right, i am only turning about 6100-6200 rpms maybe. i have tried to play with the trim however, it really did not make much of a differance. i mean i did notice the mph drop or rise when i move the trim but with it at middle or just above it felt like it got slower. what kind of things should i be checking for?

I am new but have been working on mine alot. At a guess I would say rave valve selenoid. You can check it by attaching 12v + to one side and ground the other. You should hear a click and it allows vaccum up to the rave valves to open them. An easy way to check to is to take the springs out of your raves. Push the metal hold down over (be careful cover will want to pop off take plastic cover off remove the spring on top of the valve and try again. If you gain top speed the raves are not opening correctly. You bottom end will suffer though it will bog like crazy without raves. I had to do mine and I see alot of people have issues with dirty carbs so check your plugs first if they are gray or light tan you are not getting enough fuel so be careful. When I got my ski the springs where missing it wa real boggy down low I put the springs in but like you was lacking top end about 52 MPH used a selenoid I had from my other ski and it woke it up alot. Some others may have a bunch of good ideas too just what I found on mine

PS I think there is something about to much water or your water regulator on your waterbox not working right, but talk to someone else I have been through alot with mine

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Check this thread...clean the carbs and RAVE valves. Then if no improvement get back with us.

roger that, i will check taht link. i love this sky though. very nimble, shoots out of the water. cant wait to play really rough with it, as i just had should surgery and i have to take it easy on all the jerking moves i do right now. i will say that hte ski does appear to run like a raped ape out of the hole, just stops going any faster. also, have you guys experianced the speedo, falling to zero then picking back up from time to time?

here is an update guys, i have pulled the rave valves and they are surprisingly clean, just wiped off the oil and it was actually shiny underneath. also, i put 12+ volts to the solenoid and i think it is working. is it a loud click like on most solenoids or is it really faint because of its size.

+1
    my guess would be an exhaust leak. you probably wont notice it out of the water until you hit 6000 rpms. check that your 3 bolts and 1 nut on the exhaust manifold/pipe connection are tight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information