+1

Venture 701 problem I'm stumped.

Let me start off with a little history on this couch before we get to the problem. I bought it as an abused and blown up POS. The price was right $50. It's a 1998 701 Venture 62T with the 155 pump. Basically an old body XL700 I think. The motor was run lean and lost a ring land. The chunk of piston bounced into the case where the rod caught it and pressed it out the bottom of the block. Total teardown, weld the case, new crank seals, bore, new pistons and gaskets, clean out fuel tank and lines,go pre-mix. Got it ready for water, runs great on the trailer, No rpms in the water!! Won't go but about 25ish with absolutely no power. Found there to be an 1100 Venture impeller in it!! I assume by the other signs of abuse rocks must have ate the original.So one was bought used for a 155 pump (1100) overpropped. Then when it wouldn't build rpm they leaned it out until they blew it up. I ordered a brand new OEM Yamaha impeller for it. Now it seems to run pretty good I'd say 45-48 but still not a lot of take off power, it just takes it a bit to build rpms. Now if your running wide open and turn a bit to the right it takes off like a striped ape! But as soon as you turn left it bogs down terrible. There is no way you could pull a tube or anything. I've trimmed back the plug wires, Just put new Jetlyne kits in both carbs, new plugs, all to no avail. It always seems to run great after you plane out and you start turning right, about 52-55ish.But, if you go straight for a little bit, or turn left it just bogs down, about 45ish. What is wrong with this stupid machine!!! If I richen the high speed mixture it starts flooding and popping. If I lean it out it makes it a little better but not very much. I've got exactly 130psi in both cylinders, and a nice looking spark plug. Is it cavitating? Something in the waterbox? Stator need turned some? Somebody PLEASE chime in here. All help will be greatly appreciated.

+1
    Seems like a couple of people are having similar issues with Ventures and Raiders. If anybody finds an answer I'd really like to know.

+1
    Well, maybe I can finally find the problem. It quit for good yesterday, NO SPARK. I'd say whatever is bad has been weak for at least the 2 years we've had it.

+1
    The CDI had quit. I got a new one for it and the same problem was still here. I have also tried a de-pitched impeller since then. No help there either. I got mad and took the whole intake off today. The carbs were wet and oily at the bottom. It looks like the gaskets between the carbs and base adapters are leaking. It was also wet in the middle of the intake between the block and the thin metal plate. I made all new gaskets from ROL gasket material and put it back together. I'll find out if that helps any tomorrow.

+1
    If you do not have any spark, tried a new CDI, and made sure you have good wire at the end of the plug wires to make contact with the caps, and still have no spark, it has got to be the ignition coils.

What is your prop to wearring clearance? If you have more than 3thousandths this could be the reason for bad holeshot.
    Check the ground strap tied to the engine. I have seen this turn and die symptom show up when the ground strap is loose and looses continuity when making hard turns.
    Another thing to check is trash collecting around the pickups on the stator. This requires pulling the front electrical box off and inspecting the pickkups, but I have seen where small metalic particls floating around can short out a pickup intermitentaly and make the ski bog down.

+1
    Well' the new gaskets didn't help either. I'm starting to think maybe someone jacked with the jets, or changed the carbs before I got it. Can somebody tell me what the stock jet sizes, needle & seat, are for a 701 62T in Venture or Raider? Could the timing on the stator plate be off enough to cause this? I couldn't find a mark to align it to so I just put it in the middle.

Thread Information