Wear ring on 240hp merc

This past weekend, i somehow managed to suck up a hook that would be used for hanging like a bike or something.....and it destroyed the wear ring on my 2004 speedster 160...i called a mercury dealer, and they told me its over $400 for the wear ring alone...and another $400 if the impeller is messed up too....So, has anyone else had to replace theirs, and where did you get the parts...and how much??

+1
    that is insane, wear rings are like 60 bucks i thought??

Merc Parts

Your quoted prices are comparable to what I have recieved. Must be a Merc thing.

at the suggestion of others I quickly replaced the stock aluminum movable HydroSurge intake grate that has the weed hinge with the stainless steel fixed model. Not only does it prevent small objects and rock from entering, but I have heard that the aluminum tines can break off the HydroSurge grate and cause the same type of damage that the metal hook did to yours.

The Merc wear rings are more expensive than for the SeaDoo pump because it is a complete metal housing component in the pump. Item #32.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_parts/5128/200.cfm

I do think the SeaDoo jet pump is a better design for wear and maintenance. For example changing the oil in the stator is a lot more difficult and the wear ring is not a replaceable insert nor does it protect the impeller from damage. I also wish this Merc pump has a variable trim.

I agree with the idea of the fixed grate...considering ive had multiple large objects sucked in....such as small pieces of wood...metal...carpet....which has bent the fingers on the grate slightly...So where do i get a fixed grate??

i have ordered some of my parts from the link provided, crowley marine. If I also need jet ski parts, I order from www.parkeryamaha.com to save on shipping. It's hard to beat Parker's prices and eventhough they don't have all the parts on their online order pages, parker has a BRP parts catalogue online so you can look up the part numbers you need, and send them a parts request.

Have it shimmed with stainless steel

For the same money as a replacement, you can send it off to eagle racing
    and have it up graded. It will have a stainless liner and tighter tolerances.
    Good Luck!

I think im just gonna buy a replacement...and experiment with the old one...it really just has one small gouge all the way around...so im sure i can figure out some way to make it a decent spare

Wear rings and intake grates...

The Mercury M2 wear ring is a machined aluminum component, unlike the Rotax wear ring which is plastic. Mercury's wear ring is indeed expensive but they don't usually need to be replaced as often. This is mostly because of how differently boats vs. jetskis are treated by their riders/operators.

You could try repairing the wear ring with something like JBWeld. Smooth the result with ever-finer sandpaper until the surface is even with the existing material. It won't look pretty but should work fine, and even if it fails and the JBWeld comes out it will pass harmlessly through the jetdrive and you won't be any worse off than you are right now.

A bigger question is the impeller. If that has been damaged you MUST have it either repaired or (more likely) replaced. There are no aftermarket sources for Mercury impellers to my knowledge. A prop shop might be able to repair and balance it, but odds are they won't have Mercury's original specs so they'll have to wing it based on the impeller itself. Get a quote and make sure they'll guarantee it fits with proper minimum clearances all around.

I agree on fixed grates. I just posted a note about my intake grate in a separate thread. Might be worth a look:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62338

Hope this helps!

Thread Information