+1

RXT hydraulic hood cylinder

I have a 2008 RXT and the hood piston came off. Does anyone have an idea on how to compress it enough to re-attach it. Thanks

+1
    mine on the RXT-X came off also the dealer put it back on then off again I called and ask them to send me a new one I have no idea how to compress it as it is very stiff and I am about 100 mile from my dealer

Take the strut right off the boat, use a short nylon cinch strap wrap it around the length of the strut. compress the strut on a hard surface and at the same time take the slack out of the strap. reinstal the compressed strut then release the strap.

+1
    I'm not sure if it is the same as the rxp. I think it is though. If so then what you want to do is open the lid and remove the two short bolts that hold the lid to the rear of the hinge. This will allow you to raise the hood up enough to slide the shock rod back in place. then you can lower enough to reinstall the bolts. Done! You may want to put a rag between the tip of the lid and the hull to avoid scratching it. I have done this alone but it does help if you have help.
    hope this helps.
    Jim

Does this mean that the hood will not hold itself up? This happened to my 2007 RXT yesterday and I want to fix it also.

I used a ratchet tie down to compress the strut, the ones that you attach your ski to your trailer, works a treat.

I used a tie-down. Loop the strap around the ends or the shock. Place on the ground and compress the shock while pulling the slack out of the tie-down. Pop it back on the ball mounts. The dealer is going to replace the hinge brackets because they are bent which allows the ball socket on the top mount to eject the ball. It's a poor design and I see this becoming a recurring problem.

the best way i have found is to disconnect the linkage to the hood itself. remove the clip from the 90 degree linkage arm and pull it out of the hood. then attach the strut on both ends and wedge a long prybar or screw driver against the top of the stut and the under side of the hull, but be careful not to damage the fiberglass. while pressing down on the top of the strut, have a second person line the 90 degree linkage arm up with the hole on the hood mount and push it through. this method is easiest and takes a few seconds.
    Last edited by KDSD731; 06-18-2008 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stabs View Post
    I used a ratchet tie down to compress the strut, the ones that you attach your ski to your trailer, works a treat.

Yep had this damn problem this weekend too... grabbed one of the straps from the rear and compressed it....First time I could not get the ball to go in though since the strap was not allowing the retainer to spread enough... Took the ball off then compressed again and rebolted it into the bracket..

I had my 08 X at the dealer for the repair. They replaced the brackets and installed the shock. It lasted all of about 15 minutes of riding. The shock is once again flopping around the front of the hull connected only on the bottom mount. I think Bombardier should issue a service bulletin on this and replace the shock with a bolt type mounting. The ball mounts are not right for the application.

Thread Information