Ultra Breakdown- Need assistance, please.

I went to the river over the weekend and my Ultra was running like a dream on Saturday. I went back out on Sunday and noticed that it idled fine. As soon as I passed the no wake zone and pressed the throttle, my ski would not accelerate and just bogged down on the low end. I also noticed a lot of roaring and vibration towards the back. So, I was worried and bummed not knowing what could cause this surprising breakdown and may have to dish out money to fix this problem. Hearing and reading horrible stories of the ignorance of some of these dealers, dismayed me even more. A friend recommended your website and suggested that you guys may have greater knowledge than the dealers.

However, I think my prayers may have been answered today. I inspected it more closely and found out what may be the cause of all this. There is a 2" x 1" piece of wood stuck in the propeller. Please advise if I should still take it to the dealer or have a friend of mine manually remove the intake grate to get the wood out? Do you think I may have caused any damage to the ski when I re-started it and pressed on the throttle several times?

Thank you for your assistance.

Miss Ultra

See other post.

+1

Dislodge Piece Of Wood

BY ALL MEANS SEE IF YOU OR SOME ONE CAN REMOVE THE PIECE OF WOOD. SOME TIMES YOU CAN DISLODGE IT WITH A LONG SCREWDRIVER OR ROD WITH A "HOOK" ON THE END OF IT. THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT A PIECE OF WOOD USUALLY DOES'NT HURT THE PROP OR HOUSING . GOOOD LUCK......Steve

Thanks for the advice. I'm afraid if I do that, it may bend the propeller. Also, if the wood fell behind the propeller, won't it mess up the pump?

+1

Ok Miss Ultra------

Watercraft Impellers Are Usually Progressively Pitched. That Means That The Fins In Them Have Less Clearance At The Back End Then At The Front End. Debris Such As Rocks And Sticks Start To Go Through Them And Then Get Caught As The Distance Betwen Fins Gets Smaller. Sometimes They Wedge In So Tight That The Pump/impeller Must Be Removed To Extract Them. Now As I Stated, Many Times You Can Push The Debris Toward The Front Of The Ski Or Pull It Out From The Grate . Try A Gentle Push On The Piece Of Wood And See If You Can Get It Loose. Obivously If It Doesen't Loosen Easily You May Have To Take Your Ski To The Dealer- That Will Cost You As It Won't Be Covered Under Warrenty. I've Saved Many A Days Of Riding By Dislodging Debris From My Impeller At The Lake And I Hope It Works For You....steve

Thank you for your great advice, Steve. It's a small piece of wood which I tried to remove using a long screwdriver, but it's wedged in too tight. I think I will have to take the grate out and maybe use a longer electric drill bit to chip away at it as long as it doesn't touch the impeller. Wish me luck!

+1

Haven't Heard- How Did You Make Out....

Haven't Seen Any More Posts And Was Wondering What The Out Come Was On Getting The Chunk Of Wood Out Of The Prop??????

I've had my ski for about a year and a half now, and I've got driftwood caught on the impeller 3x now.

- The first time I removed the pump and pushed the wood out. Added a R&D pump seal kit and new gasketing. I also cleaned up the silicon mess kawi put in there.

- Seconed time, I said the hell with removing it again. Got a long screw driver and banged the wood out.

- The third time, I got alittle smarter. Found the perfect tool to get it out, its my F150 stock tire Iron. Its long enough and stong enough for some banging.

No side effects from doing this, just be carefull not to hit it hard enough to bend the impeller. Its more like a upward pry motion with alittle love tap. O ya make sure your only banging and pushing on the piece of wood and not the pump liner and impeller. One more thing, once your done spray your garden hose from the intake and pump nozzle to make sure the little bits are washed away.

O I forgot to mention, you need to get the driftwood in a position that you can reach with the tire Iron. So remove the ALL FOUR SPARK PLUG WIRES and press the start button until its in a good position. Looking up through the intake grate with your feet towards the back of the boat. Its about a 10 o clock position that works best.
    Last edited by jdracer; 06-21-2008 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Spelling

Thread Information