Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Removing pump any tips

Removing pump as per instructions for factor trim install on a 94 sl650, any tips or tricks? seems straight forward...

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Don't remove any NUTS. Just the 4 long bolts.

Measure everything twice before you cut into the hull. Trim motor sits 1 way only, so be sure you positioned the template correctly. There's not much room for error.

+1
    Yeah, just take the 4 long bolts out, then you might have to get a little aggressive with it. They can be snugged in pretty good!

Just keep wiggling it side to side and up and down and eventually it will come loose.

You should see the area where the pieces meet, sometimes you can wiggle it enough and then get a small screwdriver in and easily pry it to seperate it.

A rubber or small dead-blow hammer tapping on it can help also, just don't give it a homerun swing

Edit: while you're in there, you might as well inspect the impellor and pump assembly also. If a bearing goes bad in there it can chew things up bad, and fast!

just pulled mine with some help from people on here for the first time.....for sure check out the thru hull bearing aswell can leak alot of water into the hull......

also used some wd40 to help loosen off the pump...mine was stuck on pretty good.....try not to fall on your ass when you pull on the pump

Quote Originally Posted by paramuir View Post
    just pulled mine with some help from people on here for the first time.....for sure check out the thru hull bearing aswell can leak alot of water into the hull......

also used some wd40 to help loosen off the pump...mine was stuck on pretty good.....try not to fall on your ass when you pull on the pump
    thanks for the help guys and the quick reply! (great site)

Good idea about the bearing, I have noticed more water then normal and that might be the issue, I'll pick one up before I pull everything apart just in case. Hope everythign goes smoothly, I was going to do it this weekend but I'm going to tackle it on our Canada Day long weekend.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by paramuir View Post
    try not to fall on your ass when you pull on the pump
    Great advice there.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Great advice there.
    I second that ( had a vid of somone removing a pump and he litterally fell on his ass and getting sacked by the falling pump ( I dunno which I should feel sorry for the Pump or him LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Great advice there.

i cant take the credit..i am only passing on some great advice that i was given

Thanks for the tips guys, got the trim in seems ot work great, I made up a temp SS rob to attach the trim motor to the pump, works great.

I also took the trough hull bearings and seals out and replaced them with new ones. BUT I'm still getting water in the boat and it looking like its pushing by the seals. I realized I didn't seat the seal all the way back into the coupler so that might be part of the problem and the coupler was pushed forward about 1/4 inch from the hose in the back and looks like that might be part of the issue as well or all of the issue. I'm going push the coupler back into place and tighten it down again, and try that, but I don't ahve time to pul the pump out and all that crap at the moment so I might have to buy a bigle pump to mask the issue fro now.

Thanks for your help guys.

+1
    Have you greased the thru hull? Make sure the siphon Tubes are clear if your going to ride with water entering the hull. I'd advise against it, but if you do, take all precautions to limit the risk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information