Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Turbo chat and thoughts on kits to buy!

Hey guys with turbo set ups. I am throwing around the idea of a turbo build project and would like to just chat about them. I have some question.

1. Are they fairly simple to tune? I have a Riva ECU now.
    2. Would it work with a RpFPR?
    3. About what is the safe limit of boost to have a ski stay alive for a good amount of hours? Yes I know it is subjective!

Any thoughts and guidence would be great.
    I am just gathering all info at this time.

Please chime in!

Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire View Post
    Hey guys with turbo set ups. I am throwing around the idea of a turbo build project and would like to just chat about them. I have some question.

1. Are they fairly simple to tune? I have a Riva ECU now.
    2. Would it work with a RpFPR?
    3. About what is the safe limit of boost to have a ski stay alive for a good amount of hours? Yes I know it is subjective!

Any thoughts and guidence would be great.
    I am just gathering all info at this time.

Please chime in!
    Yes it will work with a rrfpr and your riva ecu. Use 50lb injectors and set the regulator to 60lb. As for boost anywhere from 18-20lb I believe is safe just make sure to check afr.

I thought I read somwhere that 18 is the max psi w/ the oem plastic manifold but more boost can be run with an aluminum manifold.

+1
    Well I would like to just do away with the clutch. My slip movement is again low and I am tired of it. It seams that ever 20 hours I need to fix the slip. Also a reason to go turbo.

I would like to have a very safe conservative ski to just be rec friendly. NOT over boost the heck out of it.

18lbs sounds good to me.

So just a FPR and the turbo kit online?

any other ideas?

Personally If I for some reason ever go turbo... I will prob build the kit myself. I'm sure the kit online isn't a bad deal at all, I just enjoy fabrication in general.

If you run 16psi with a turbo you will be super safe and prob super fast.. I mean I've seen numbers over 81 with my s3 and thats like 11psi. You could build a reliable rec. rider turbo ski for sure. Just keep the boost down and make sure the turbo is heat wrapped and nice and secure with some sort of bracket.

I am building my own turbo setup. The j-pipe was just sent out to jet-hot to get coated.

I am running:

stock j-pipe cut w/ turbo manifold welded on. the 3 water outlets are welded shut and a stainless water outlet welded on.

garrett gt28rs ball bearing-- i dont think i am going to run the water lines through it. it is internally gated. I will be running a turbo blanket. I have yet to pick which wastegate im running. Probably a 10psi gate with manual inline boost controller.

I am going to run a 3" v-band down pipe with water injection- no water jacketed pipes.-- they are getting jet-hot coating and wrapped w/ a heat wrap

stock ecu w/ rude rrfpr. 15/22 4-blade prop if that works??
    The setup is very simple and costs me less than $2500 or so. Not too much fab work besides welding up the j-pipe and downpipe.

atpturbo.com is where i buy all my turbo parts

Quote Originally Posted by codymouse54321 View Post
    I am building my own turbo setup. The j-pipe was just sent out to jet-hot to get coated.

I am running:

stock j-pipe cut w/ turbo manifold welded on. the 3 water outlets are welded shut and a stainless water outlet welded on.

garrett gt28rs ball bearing-- i dont think i am going to run the water lines through it. it is internally gated. I will be running a turbo blanket. I have yet to pick which wastegate im running. Probably a 10psi gate with manual inline boost controller.

I am going to run a 3" v-band down pipe with water injection- no water jacketed pipes.-- they are getting jet-hot coating and wrapped w/ a heat wrap

stock ecu w/ rude rrfpr. 15/22 4-blade prop if that works??
    The setup is very simple and costs me less than $2500 or so. Not too much fab work besides welding up the j-pipe and downpipe.

atpturbo.com is where i buy all my turbo parts
    Got any pics of the pipes/ jpipe??

no-- i will soon when it gets back from jet-hot. It will look bling-bling w/ their shiny silver coating. I have had lots of parts done by them and their work is great.

I had the fitting on the top of the j-pipe used to flush welded shut. The 3 holes that dump into the waterbox welded shut. A stainless water fitting welded onto the end of j-pipe. This will be the water outlet. About 2-3" cut off end of j-pipe that normally fits in water box. This is where the turbo flange was welded on.

My only concern is about supporting the weight of the turbo.

how is the j-pipe installed? Will the j-pipe be upside down or as if it was stock.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by codymouse54321 View Post
    ...stock ecu w/ rude rrfpr. 15/22 4-blade prop if that works??
    I think you'll need more prop. Mine is a 15/20 repitched to 15/24 on a 81 mm nozzle. I'm at 8100 rpm at 14 psi boost. Still need more prop! Probably going to try a 15.5/22.5 3 blade next.

Mike

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information