Prop Spin/Cavitation Issues Resolved.

It seems as if have been falsely blaming my cavitation issues on the intake grates. I experienced the problems with all three grate combinations, but just didint realize it because sometimes it would take while for the problem to surface. But it did with all three.

I checked wear ring and prop.. No problems. After pulling my pump several times, I decided to temporailly patch the 3/8" pump shoe holes. I ran all weekend with no issues at all. The previous prop spin was so bad that couldnt go for any holeshots for fear of damaging the pump. Didnt see any difference at all in top speed after patching.

Does this make sense to anyone? I did notice that one hole was slightly wollowed (bigger) than the other.

DAMN these things... cut grate with 3/8 holes is the way to go!!! Please some of you others that have the holes drilled tell us that this isn't the case. How about all of those that initally cut the stock grate wings and drilled the holes.. did you notice this?

-=Mike

i make, break, and fix things 08255's Avatar
    so the problem was the 3/8 relief holes?

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by ba6636 View Post
    It seems as if have been falsely blaming my cavitation issues on the intake grates. I experienced the problems with all three grate combinations, but just didint realize it because sometimes it would take while for the problem to surface. But it did with all three.

I checked wear ring and prop.. No problems. After pulling my pump several times, I decided to temporailly patch the 3/8" pump shoe holes. I ran all weekend with no issues at all. The previous prop spin was so bad that couldnt go for any holeshots for fear of damaging the pump. Didnt see any difference at all in top speed after patching.

Does this make sense to anyone? I did notice that one hole was slightly wollowed (bigger) than the other.
    Not alot of sense The holes should stay under water, therefor not allowing air into the pump I'm not versed enough to understand why that mod would cause that problem. You sure you drilled in the right place?

Its a stumper!!

+1
    I have no problem doing a holeshot with the holes, little to no spin.

+1
    You need to reseal your pumpshoe to the rideplate. You are sucking air back thru the holes from the rideplate seal.

Take off the intake grate and blow air where the grate mounts water will come out where you are leaking. My guess the rubber between the rideplate and the rideshoe. Also notice where the rideshoe mounts to the hull. The sealant is probably missing at the very front of the pump shoe.

Thanks RXPSTAN,

I did notice a small length of black sealant missing around the pumpshoe (Approx. 2") but its been there since a bought the ski in March.

I will try your suggestions (without sealing the drilled holes) this weekend and post results.

I definately dont want people, with the same symptoms, filling their pressure relief holes based on this post!

rxpstan.. You The Man!

Followed your advise concerning pump show air leaks. No more cavitation, AND, picked up a solid .8 mph to boot. Now averaging 74.3 mph (with stock venturi) in summer heat.

Thread Information