+1

WTB a 05 RXP but scared of all the SC horror stories

I found a 2005 RXP with 27 hrs on the ski....it has been well taken care of by the original owner.

After reading around on the net I am now worried about the SC coming apart and costing me a lot of money.

My question to everyone is... what can I look for to check and see if it has had SC washer failure or is about to? Can the washers be changed myself or does it need to go to a shop? I am good with mechanics & my profession is a machinist so I understand tollarances and have the tools to measure them.

I haven't taken the ski for a test ride and wasnt planning on it simply becase of the condition it was in. Is this somthing I should do now?

thanks for you help

First thing to check is if the washers are gone or not. Pull the inlet hose off the Super charger and stick your fingers in there and see if the fan blades move or not. If the fan blades move or spin freely your washers are toast. The motor has to be pulled and be cleaned out. If the blades are tight and no movement your ok. But the recomendation is to pull the super charger out and replace the washers with the new metal ones. Before you have a washer failure.And your in a world of ****

Hope this helps

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Len View Post
    First thing to check is if the washers are gone or not. Pull the inlet hose off the Super charger and stick your fingers in there and see if the fan blades move or not. If the fan blades move or spin freely your washers are toast. The motor has to be pulled and be cleaned out. If the blades are tight and no movement your ok. But the recomendation is to pull the super charger out and replace the washers with the new metal ones. Before you have a washer failure.And your in a world of ****

Hope this helps

can I replace the washers myself or is this something I have to bring to a dealer?

from what i have read it is not too hard to pull the S/C and if you look to the right on the forum you will see a link to SC rebuild service. Click that

There's not really a way to know whats in there other than having the guy verify via receipt or having a shop record of the parts being purchased or installed. My ski for example is fairly easy to see there's been some work done with the addition of the blow off valve. See if they can verify that, if not the first thing I would do is take it to a shop after I bought it and have them install the washers (or as you said install them yourself) for a few hundred bucks instead of cleaning the motor for a few thousand.

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterz View Post
    I found a 2005 RXP with 27 hrs on the ski....it has been well taken care of by the original owner.

After reading around on the net I am now worried about the SC coming apart and costing me a lot of money.

My question to everyone is... what can I look for to check and see if it has had SC washer failure or is about to? Can the washers be changed myself or does it need to go to a shop? I am good with mechanics & my profession is a machinist so I understand tollarances and have the tools to measure them.

I haven't taken the ski for a test ride and wasnt planning on it simply becase of the condition it was in. Is this somthing I should do now?

thanks for you help
    The washers are very easy to change yourself. After you have taken the SC off a couple of times, it will become second nature.

Order the needle bearings that go on the SC shaft under the gear when you order the metal washers. The old needle bearing always fall out onto the floor and get dirty and/or lost. The new ones come in a wax backing so they stick together until you can put the SC clutch back together. Plus, they are only about $10-$15.

If it has already had the SC clutch ceramics fail, I wouldn't buy the ski. If they haven't ever failed, then you are good to go.

Thread Information