Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

rebuilding of dead/semi dead MFD's

Im thinking of picking up any and all MFD's for the Polaris lines Skis that are either compleatly dead/semi working and repairing them

it seems everyone has a few dead ones and quite a few semi operational

so all of you whats your thoughts on that, do you think its worth it????

I was thinking of picking up/buying a few of each type to get started repair them all and if anyone needs they send me there dead one for trade in value...

if I DO start doing that I would need some clipped harness's can anyone supply me a few of each MFD harness plugs with about a foot of wire on it???

+1
    There was another guy on the forum (no longer on the forum...went by "wetherby") who use to do this very thing so ya might want to get in touch with him to find out more about what he went through. Txpro1200 (Doug) on the forum will have his contact info.

Sounds like a plan... I've already Cut, gutted and repaired my SL750's display after finding out how hard to find and the rareity of an original actual working right

I don't mind setting up (building) a rig that can test all of the components (ie fuel, volts, speed etc...)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    ...I don't mind setting up (building) a rig that can test all of the components (ie fuel, volts, speed etc...)
    Do you have the information regarding the waveform and voltages for the Yellow wire (tachometer input)?

The yellow wire is also the AC input to the rectifier of the voltage regulator.
    Last edited by K447; 06-17-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Not at this time I don't, My Buddy applied for the Tech Documentation's specifications and the breakdown (Tech Sheets) on all the Polaris MFD's Im waiting for his response...
    Once I get those I will know more as of right now I was going to repair the simplier ones (blown fuses, faulty screens, physial damage etc....) and deal with any electronically damaged ones when i get them, as I was told he said it could be a month or longer before he gets them for me thats IF they allow him them and what there gunna cost

I was gunna take the speed sensors, sender units from old boats and wire them to a test grid to see whats up... if it gets that indepth I may just buy the whole electrical harness that belong to the boats.. shrugs we shall see..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    ...My Buddy applied for the Tech Documentation's specifications and the breakdown (Tech Sheets) on all the Polaris MFD's...
    ...it could be a month or longer before he gets them for me thats IF they allow him them and what there gunna cost
    Is this information coming from Polaris, or the MFD manufacturer?

I would be very interested to read any material you manage to receive.

Do you have an electronics engineering or component level repair background?

I'm not certified but work on Surface Level, My Buddies taught me almost all I know hes a Certified Electronics Technition (owns an electronic shop).. to me hes my Guru for that stuff if I can't figure it out he laughs and tells me he whats wrong the majority of the time before even OPENING the electronics heheh

as for any info it all depends on the security of the document, if its open for public not a prob I will post it if it Licenced I unfortunatly cannot give it out ( AHR"leak"MMM) stuff LOL

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Guys have been successful with the larger MFD repairs, but no one has fixed a round MFD to my knowledge. YET...

I've never gotten any or been able to work on them...

if anyone wants to be nice and send me a few dead ones I will see what I can do about opening repairing and resealing them...

"theres no such things as compleatly dead electronics, compleatly dead electronics means the Tech's a lazy ass ( unless the part is a surface mount main IC controller that 1 no longer exists, 2 is not sold to the general public or 3 is so classified they die grind the chip numbers off them)"

sorry thats my motto and My buddy and I always call each other that..

actually when I was at work I was thinking this is how I would do it

1. Send me the dead unit pay for the repair I send back
    2. SELL me the unit or send me it for Credit toward one in the future (I will give more for the credit then to just buy it)
    3. Trade in, Send the unit it and the credit will be discounted off the price

Im not trying to make alot of money just offer my assistance to any GH member as I most likely will not do this for just anyone

this is my way of saying thanks for all the help i have received from people here.. Basically My title will be "Resident MFD Tech" lol but I wanna know if I should go ahead with it as from what I read there was quite a few problems before...

As for the repairs I will warranty them as long as they wern 't reopened

I would replace the old Silica gel envelopes with fresh new ones ( I will insert Multiple as there like a dime a dozen anyways)
    Use a internal sealer to seal the cut then use Oil/Fuel resistant Epoxy weld Spicifically desined for Plastic to perminantly weld back...

I was going to offer a 1 year warranty on the repaired ones on the epoxy seal or if it goes bad again, water gets in or the seal isn't perfect I will replace it with no questions ( Unless the unit was 1 Neglected, abused or the damaged caused by Human intervention/modification after it was shipped..
    Last edited by Feral; 06-17-2008 at 10:01 PM.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Let me test a couple I have. If they are bad, or partial displays, I'll send them your way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information