Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Putting SHO and VX in salt water first time???

I know to flush motor on hose afterwards but what else? Spray motor down with silicone spray??? Any other things besides rinseing off and flushing??

Going to Sarasota Florida/Lido Key for a week, I am excited about taking my own ski's seeing how they wanted $100 per hour to rent some last year!!!

THANKS!

+1

salt water

flush motor good.....spray ski, trailer, everthing down with fresh water. i use corrision x, the red can, on everything, motor, throttle cables, trailer, lights, everthing and never had anything rust. you will be fine...lots of fresh water..
    some people use salt-away, never have but heard it is good.

I use a gallon jug of Wd-40 and a zep squirt bottle on mine. Using a can of spray with a stream doesn't do much. WD works great and anyone who know my skis know after 8 years of being in the salt I have all original hardware and it looks brand new. I would actually spray the skis down before you go in the salt so the salt water never hits the bare metal parts. Give then a good soaking you wont break or short anything out. Also spray down the pump and inside the nozzel and get the prop good its super anal but it pays off in the long run!
    When you get out spray(mist not hose full on) of water over the engine and rinse it good then spray with the WD!
    Have fun down there!!

i use salt away after every ride. on the trailer the engine and flushing

Go to your local marine store and get some Boesheild T-9. Spray down the entire engine with it a few days before heading out. When you pull them out of the water, flush and rinse everything with fresh water. I also have a foamgun that I use to to soak everything with a dilution of soapy water. If you want to do the same, you can try it with a garden sprayer and mix car wash soap with water about 1:4. When done, leave seats off so engine compartments can air dry

spraying motor down with WD-40 makes it oily right? I guess the heat will evaporate it and not like I am driving it down dusty roads where dirt will stick to motor not much dust on the water!

[quote=craig41071;681862]I know to flush motor on hose afterwards but what else? Spray motor down with silicone spray??? Any other things besides rinseing off and flushing??

Going to Sarasota Florida/Lido Key for a week, I am excited about taking my own ski's seeing how they wanted $100 per hour to rent some last year!!!

Hi dud I also going to the keys in two week and you said they rent the ski for $100 an hour? WOW!!! I also taking my GP1300 and VX110( wife).

+1
    [QUOTE=NJ Kid GP1300R;682167]
    Quote Originally Posted by craig41071 View Post
    I know to flush motor on hose afterwards but what else? Spray motor down with silicone spray??? Any other things besides rinseing off and flushing??

Hi dud I also going to the keys in two week and you said they rent the ski for $100 an hour? WOW!!! I also taking my GP1300 and VX110( wife).
    You need to look for a product called "fluid film" Lanolin based I believe so it wont eat up rubber parts. Much better than silicone or WD40. I guy on this website sells it, look it up.
    Just use the search function and look at some of the threads, the guys name is Dano50 or something like that...

Jim
    Last edited by jpack; 06-17-2008 at 08:53 PM.

I like Fluid Film, but can't get it locally... I haven't ordered any yet, after my first can.

However, I do use SALT-AWAY after every ride. I'd also use it at least after every few rides in fresh water.... You should use it once before you go out the first time in salt too.

Don't forget the sunscreen and a small dry towel to clean your glasses from salt spray.

[quote=jpack;682525]
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Kid GP1300R View Post

You need to look for a product called "fluid film" Lanolin based I believe so it wont eat up rubber parts. Much better than silicone or WD40. I guy on this website sells it, look it up.
    Just use the search function and look at some of the threads, the guys name is Dano50 or something like that...

Jim

thanks jpack, Dano has already pm'd me sounds like good stuff I saw on the site where they rubbed that stuff on everything even seats and plastic!!

guess best thing is to let engine cool down take plugs out rinse it all good inside and out let dry for an hour or so with seat off and after I sponge as much water out as I can from hull then give the engine a good spraying then all up around and in jet pump/nozzle area?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information