Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What Upgrades on a 2000 RX

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I love all the information you can find on here. I was wondering if you could help in any way where I need to start on the upgrades for this 2000 RX. I bought this last week for $1500. Only has 42 hours on it. Sat for 4 years. I am sucking out all the oil and gas in the resevoirs tonight and will fill them back up with XPS oil and mid grade fuel. Not sure about the fuel yet. Also changing the plugs and filters. I would deeply appreciate all the help on aftermarket exhaust, bottom plates or anything else. I rather listen to guys that have experience. Product names would be good. I don't want to spend more then 2000 dollars this summer. Please let me know what you think. My wife gets to drive the RXT that we bought. Good for pulling the youngens around. I want one to go really fast.

JW

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    what a steal! hope after sitting it has not rusted over any in the cylinders... good luck

as for mods, best thing to do is to read up on Bens Hermans 951 thread, heres a link

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14242

Thanks for the reply mongorunner,

I got out all the old oil and gas last night. Replaced the screen in the fuel filter housing and changed the inline oil filter and spark plugs. I set the gap at .22. I guess this alright. Replaced with fresh gas and new XPS sythetic oil. Checked the compression. 145 and 135. Hooked up the water and fired her off. She ran fine. Idle around 2050 and 2150. I guess this is ok. I looked for the grease fitting on the shaft. I didn't find one. I then got the parts manual out and realized this is a closed bearing. I do not like that. I hope it is ok since it is so hard to take out. I put 91 octane in the tank. I am sure this is ok. I am going to take it to Lake Martin this weekend and run it for a while. I want to make some upgrades and I appreciate the link. Thanks.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You need to pull, disassemble and clean your carbs too. The accelerator pump orifices are most definitely clogged. The only way they wouldn't be is if the previous owner by chance ran the carbs dry before his last ride. Very few know to do this (or actually do) when winterizing.

Gap plugs @ .025"
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 06-18-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Ok, Will take the carbs apart tonight. Thanks for the gap on the plugs. I will set them at .25.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You got a great deal. Was the ski stored inside or out?

Quote Originally Posted by dubzrx View Post
    Thanks for the reply mongorunner,

I got out all the old oil and gas last night. Replaced the screen in the fuel filter housing and changed the inline oil filter and spark plugs. I set the gap at .22. I guess this alright. Replaced with fresh gas and new XPS sythetic oil. Checked the compression. 145 and 135. Hooked up the water and fired her off. She ran fine. Idle around 2050 and 2150. I guess this is ok. I looked for the grease fitting on the shaft. I didn't find one. I then got the parts manual out and realized this is a closed bearing. I do not like that. I hope it is ok since it is so hard to take out. I put 91 octane in the tank. I am sure this is ok. I am going to take it to Lake Martin this weekend and run it for a while. I want to make some upgrades and I appreciate the link. Thanks.

wow wow wow... im super jealous, sounds like you got a sweet deal so far

did you make sure to start the doo, then on with water, turn off water, then doo? just a little FYI, also i think mine idles around 3000k on the hose

I did make sure that I did what you said in order. I ran the RX this weekend and it ran good. I let it warm up and started running about 25mph and stayed at that speed for about a minute then continued to increase. I got it up to about 67. Well thats what the gauge said. Does not fell like 67 but I am glad everything went well. I also installed my lift on the dock. Spent all that time underwater installing a cross member then go put the ski in and ride around a while and come back to the lake house to put the ski up on the lift and damn it if the cable didn't have a kink in the line and started to break. I guess I rather have the lift brake on me then the sea doo. LOL. I knew something was to good to be true about this deal. Atleast it was the lift. I can get a new cable. So my wife and I put the sea doo back up on the trailer for the weekend. Should I turn the gas to the off position and let the gas run out before I leave for the week? I do this will my four wheelers. This sea doo was garage kept with a cover on it when not in use. Never in salt water. I will take some pictures. Won't keep up with the wife RXP. Not yet. But you guys are going to help me kick her a**. I love the way it rides. I was wondering why it wants to hesitate coming out of the hole some times. I put 91 octane in it. Seems like it got better more I ran it this weekend. Idles around 1500 in the water. Is that to low? If so how do I adjust the throttle. Is there a easy adjustment on the linkage. I just haven't paid attention. Thanks for all you help.

JW

sucks about the cable on the lift, like you said, atleast its the cable and not the doo you're having to replace

i always just shut the gas off and leave it, im not a fan of running all the gas out of a two stroke... but id wait on someone who's been around the seadoo arena longer to reply with a better answer:-p

the hesitation might just be the carbs a bit gummed up after sitting for so long... it should say idle speed somewhere on your ski(under the hood is where its at on my XPL if i recall correctly) im thinkin 1850 but don't quote me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information