Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Seadoo sputtering over 5,000 RPM?

I have a 1999 Seadoo GSX waverunner. It starts and runs perfect below 5,000 RPM. When I hold the throttle all the way open it revs up to about 5,000 RPM then cuts out and sputters for 2 seconds, then it revs up again to 5,000 and cuts out again. As long as I hold the throttle down it will continue surging like that. Anyone know whats wrong?

check your carbs. i bet the fuel filters are clogged up and that is causing a fuel starvation issue at high rpms.

thanks. sorry i forgot to add that I already have, it's not perfect but it is definetly good enough to be working right. Any more ideas?

what did you mean by its not perfect but working good enough. i had this exact problem and when i checked the two little fuel filters inside the carberators they were clogged up big time. no cleaning them, i had to replace them little buggers.

Sounds like a cracked coil around one of the spark plugs.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsuchocki View Post
    I have a 1999 Seadoo GSX waverunner. It starts and runs perfect below 5,000 RPM. When I hold the throttle all the way open it revs up to about 5,000 RPM then cuts out and sputters for 2 seconds, then it revs up again to 5,000 and cuts out again. As long as I hold the throttle down it will continue surging like that. Anyone know whats wrong?
    Were your fuel lines replaced? When was the last time the carbs were cleaned?

thanks. sorry i forgot to add that I already have, it's not perfect but it is definetly good enough to be working right. Any more ideas?
    What do you mean by not perfect? Carbs are either clean or dirty..

Sorry for the confusion. The needle valves are clean and working, but i wasnt able to unscrew the jets to clean them, they were too tight.

Nope i checked the coil, it was clean and dry, it still works when the motor was hot. A bad coil doesnt work when it gets hot. Could it be an ignition pickup chip?

Sorry for the confusion. The needle valves are clean and working, but i wasnt able to unscrew the jets to clean them, they were too tight.
    Spraying carb cleaner through them is sufficient. The critical part is getting the accelerator pump orifices cleaned and flowing. And the internal filter screens.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information