Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra LX Water Proof Question

I have an Ultra LX. The front compartment always seems to get water in it after riding. Is there anything people have done to create a waterproof seal for the front compartment?

Do you still have the tub in place where the fire extinguisher goes? that is needed to make the thing water proof.

Cheers

I get water in the tub too. Sometimes quite a bit. But the compartment underneath usually stays dry. I just put anything delicate in tub in plastic bags or pelican boxes. I spray silicone on rubber molding that runs around tub. Keeps it supple and water resistant. And I replaced molding as soon as it started showing signs of wear and tear. You could upgrade factory molding with thicker stuff from auto parts store which might improve seal. Everything in bow (below tub) is stored in hydroseal bags and has stayed dry even in big water.

Quote Originally Posted by surfin View Post
    Do you still have the tub in place where the fire extinguisher goes? that is needed to make the thing water proof.

Cheers
    The tub works well to keep water out of the compartment. I'm looking for a way to improve the seal on the lid to keep water out of the tub if at all possible.

+1
    buy some of the sticky back foam/rubber on a roll and stick it to the top surface of the removable tub. same stuff that is on the underside.

the rubber seal on the lid seals very close to the inner lip on the bucket so keep the sealer that you use in close to that lip. the one i used was about 1"-1.5" wide.

cheers
    Last edited by nicjak; 06-27-2008 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    buy some of the sticky back foam/rubber on a roll and stick it to the top surface of the removable tub. same stuff that is on the underside.

cheers
    Now thats a smart simple idea. Ive got all kinds of that stuff in garage. Its sold in auto parts stores. Often used for weatherproofing auto door jambs and trunks.

I remember way back when I bought a bunch of it, thinking Id seal up all nooks and crannies, including under seat. But then I started reading how we need to increase air flow to increase performance. I didnt know what to do then. So, all that weatherstripping has been collecting dust. But sealing that tub makes a lot of sense.

One time I took the whole seat off and rode around in crouch in flat calm. I figured it would be hard to increase air flow more than that. And I could listen to engine sounds real well. After a while I forgot I took seat off and sat down. Almost welded my wetsuit to motor and that was end of the test.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    Now thats a smart simple idea. Ive got all kinds of that stuff in garage. Its sold in auto parts stores. Often used for weatherproofing auto door jambs and trunks.

I remember way back when I bought a bunch of it, thinking Id seal up all nooks and crannies, including under seat. But then I started reading how we need to increase air flow to increase performance. I didnt know what to do then. So, all that weatherstripping has been collecting dust. But sealing that tub makes a lot of sense.

One time I took the whole seat off and rode around in crouch in flat calm. I figured it would be hard to increase air flow more than that. And I could listen to engine sounds real well. After a while I forgot I took seat off and sat down. Almost welded my wetsuit to motor and that was end of the test.

TN, you were actually the motivation behind the no seat test. Last year, when Ultra was new, Tubeman said seal seat for surf action. But you said you moved seat up about one inch for better air flow. So I thought Id try and do you one better.

The foolish thing is I did test with no GPS. So, I cant say whether all that airflow made much difference. Cheaper than RAM Air though.

+1
    we had an ocean ride on the weekend with water constantly coming over the front and not a drop of water entered the bin.

im getting alot of water in my removable tub to!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information