Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    1996 SLT 780 wont go over 3k rpm

    This ski belongs to a good friend of mine. last season he took it out and said it didnt run right. so i stored them over the winter in a heated building. took it out lastnight. starts up fine. runs good on the hose, i blipped the throttle and it went to 5k rpm. i put it in the water and it goes to about 2800 rpm. i live about 15 min from a smaller lake. i am thinking about heading over there tonight and trying the grey wire from the CDI box like i have read on here. any other ideas? anything else i can check?

    also i was thinking about tossing plugs in it and cutting the boot down like i read on here.

    and i will keep my eye on the display. i want to say i saw a red flashing light or something but i dont know for sure since i didnt know what i was looking for and wanted to get it back on the trailer.

    thanks in advance!

    -Raphael


  2. #2
    Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,760
    +1
    38
    Have you checked compression?

  3. #3
    BBCaprice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Titusville FL
    Posts
    750
    Sounds like limp mode-especially if you got a flashing light.

  4. #4
    100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    JUST NORTH OF CUBA-- FL,KEYS
    Posts
    2,556
    +1
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowStang93 View Post
    This ski belongs to a good friend of mine. last season he took it out and said it didnt run right. so i stored them over the winter in a heated building. took it out lastnight. starts up fine. runs good on the hose, i blipped the throttle and it went to 5k rpm. i put it in the water and it goes to about 2800 rpm. i live about 15 min from a smaller lake. i am thinking about heading over there tonight and trying the grey wire from the CDI box like i have read on here. any other ideas? anything else i can check?

    also i was thinking about tossing plugs in it and cutting the boot down like i read on here.

    and i will keep my eye on the display. i want to say i saw a red flashing light or something but i dont know for sure since i didnt know what i was looking for and wanted to get it back on the trailer.

    thanks in advance!

    -Raphael
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM
    i think limp mode cuts it to 4500
    check compression
    If you do try it again and it still runs low rpm slowly pull the choke and see what the rpms do,,,,up,,down,,,nutin,------might get us heading down the right path
    mattman

  5. #5
    thanks for the welcome

    i did pull the choke and it started to bog so i pushed it back in. so that seemed normal.

    i will prolly do a comp check here soon.

    also i see you are in the keys...man oh man. i used to go to the Feista Key KOA 2 times a year and fish for 2 weeks at a time. channel 5 bridge and out at the reefs. good times man. i also had a xp back in the mid 90's that i had rebuilt by the sea doo dealer that is right in the begining of the keys. the guys name started with a " s " i believe.

  6. #6
    100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    JUST NORTH OF CUBA-- FL,KEYS
    Posts
    2,556
    +1
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowStang93 View Post
    thanks for the welcome

    i did pull the choke and it started to bog so i pushed it back in. so that seemed normal.

    i will prolly do a comp check here soon.

    also i see you are in the keys...man oh man. i used to go to the Feista Key KOA 2 times a year and fish for 2 weeks at a time. channel 5 bridge and out at the reefs. good times man. i also had a xp back in the mid 90's that i had rebuilt by the sea doo dealer that is right in the begining of the keys. the guys name started with a " s " i believe.
    lol-Mattawan, MI 49071- I bet if i was drunk enough i could write my name like that
    Good the choke thing makes me happy ,,,lots of fuel.
    we need a comp test FIRST AND FOREMOST
    unscrew the spark plug boots and trim 1/4 inch off and reinstall
    know F/K well i work at he tackle place 2 miles north..
    that sea doo dealer got puked when riva south opened up a big store and sold doos there they are now something like "florida keys watercraft"
    get us some photos NO not that kind of the SKI
    mattman

  7. #7
    ok so this is what we got.

    did a comp check lastnight. started with the cylinder farthest from the gas tank. got 122 psi. then the center. got 130. the cylinder closest to the tank was dead. took the gauge off and put my finger over the hole and it didnt even push it off. took a small light and didnt see anything major ( i have put holes in pistons :O) )

    so now the questoins start. should i do this myself? can i just service the one cylinder? what is something like this going to cost? any tips or tricks? places to buy parts?

    Thanks!!

  8. #8
    so i pulled the head off real quick and the ring did some damage. now in a car this would all be an easy fix.

    do i just get a new jug, head and piston? can i swap pistons with the motor in the ski?

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,760
    +1
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowStang93 View Post
    so i pulled the head off real quick and the ring did some damage. now in a car this would all be an easy fix.

    do i just get a new jug, head and piston? can i swap pistons with the motor in the ski?
    This thread will answer alot of your questions.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31248

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2000 STX 900 wont go over 5200 RPM
    By gopats in forum Kawasaki How To & FAQs
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 12:10 AM
  2. 1996 seadoo gtx wont rev over 3500 rpm
    By tommartin211 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2012, 01:08 PM
  3. 2001 and 2000 1200gpr wont go over 5000 rpm on water. Seems bogged down
    By lib135 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-28-2012, 02:53 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 07:01 AM
  5. 2002 gtx wont go over 3500 rpm
    By wave15stx in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 04:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •