Thread: Lean?

Lean?

Would losing your catcon be a cause of or result of lean condition? Or, none of the above? 2003 GP1300R, 45 hrs., The catylitic converter is in one piece but had shifted down the pipe to where it bends. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2946.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	78384  

Also, completely stock, no mods whatsoever.

+1
    Ouch

Maybe an air leak at the reeds ?

Usually the cat will effect all 3 cyls.

WFO, I've been told by a few on this forum that you are one of the guru's here, so thank you for taking a look at my problem. I've torn down the motor and am rebuilding, it's the art of the 2-stroke lean condition that is escaping me. I was also told that #1 and #3 were looking extremely lean and probably pretty close to having problems (I have a better pic on my other computer) so is it possible that the catcon caused my problem? I really want to find out why this happened so the motor I'm rebuilding doesn't suffer the same fate. Thanks again. Jim

Like Rich said, check the aluminum intake manifold/balance bar assy. I have seen them corrode really bad where the rubber throttle body adapter/boot bolts to it. Corrosion ruins the seal and causes an air leak leaning out the cylinder.
    Have all 3 injectors flow tested and cleaned also.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    Like Rich said, check the aluminum intake manifold/balance bar assy. I have seen them corrode really bad where the rubber throttle body adapter/boot bolts to it. Corrosion ruins the seal and causes an air leak leaning out the cylinder.
    Have all 3 injectors flow tested and cleaned also.
    what he said

Unfortunately the damage is already done. On your rebuild I would go over everything including having the crank checked out and re-seal the crankcase. Pressure test the motor proir to installation so you will know there are no air leaks.

I have seen a cat fail, but it usually chokes the entire motor, not just damage 1 cylinder

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm rebuilding the entire motor, new hotrod crank, trued and welded. Cylinders sent to millenium for repair and ordered new Prox pistons. Almost $500 in gaskets and miscellany, waveeater clips etc. I just want to make sure I put it back together right. Keeping everything stock, my main goal is the most reliable ski possible. I will pressure test the motor (6lbs. for 6 mins. I read somewhere here). Any other advice, common pitfalls to avoid is much appreciated.
    Thanks again,
    Jim

sounds like your on the right path! I have had so many modded vehicles and ski's but my favorites are my stockers with motors done right! Z

Thread Information