Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

water in engine - what next?

My '98 XP Limited was towed, and apparently flooded the engines. I pulled the plugs, and blew the water out; fogged the the cylinders, and dried the plugs before reinstalling. Now, when I try to start it, it just "bumps", and won't crank at any speed. Repeated the pull the plug and blow water routine two more times; same result. Suggestions?

+1
    After it was towed, did you try starting it before you pulled the plugs? If so you might have bent a rod and locked it up.

The best way to get all of the water out of engine on the 98 XP-L is to pull the plugs & sit the ski on the ground. Have a couple of people help you roll it on it's side until the tops of the cylinder are facing the ground.

What do you mean by "bumps"? Are you sure that the battery is fully charged?

Dan (drb)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by drb View Post
    After it was towed, did you try starting it before you pulled the plugs? If so you might have bent a rod and locked it up.

The best way to get all of the water out of engine on the 98 XP-L is to pull the plugs & sit the ski on the ground. Have a couple of people help you roll it on it's side until the tops of the cylinder are facing the ground.

What do you mean by "bumps"? Are you sure that the battery is fully charged?

Dan (drb)
    +1 dont get to worried yet. check the battery..

Thanks. Tried the procedure, again. Engine spins freely off the battery with plugs removed. With plugs in, engine will not crank; just bumps the starter, and turns half a rev. What next?

You have to make sure you get all of the water out. and make suer the battery isnt dead from cranking over and over.

You still have a bunch of water in the motor. You NEED to turn it upsidedown or on its side. It will blow out much more water. Stop trying to start it or your repiar bill will be high.

I would rotate it as far over as possible and crank away then once you think all the water is out, roll it onto the opposite side and repeat. Then fog, crank some more to get some lubrication. Then she should fire up!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by darren94 View Post
    You still have a bunch of water in the motor. You NEED to turn it upsidedown or on its side. It will blow out much more water. Stop trying to start it or your repiar bill will be high.

I would rotate it as far over as possible and crank away then once you think all the water is out, roll it onto the opposite side and repeat. Then fog, crank some more to get some lubrication. Then she should fire up!

+1 - after you get all of the water out, keep trying to start it. Ony crank it for a few seconds & then let the starter cool off for a minute or so before trying again or you will burn up the starter. Keep changing plugs (or pull the plugs and dry them off and clean them with some starting fluid) everytime you try to start it. You can put a small amount of gas in the cylinders or into the throat of the carbs if necessary to get it to fire.

When turning the motor over with no plugs, please be sure that your spark plugs wires are securely attached to the grounding posts. Trust me I know this from experience and you don't want to get too close to gasoline vapors and a spark cause it ain't pretty!

Dan

Wow OK newbie stupid question but I think I know the answer now. The grounding posts are the things on the black box in the front of the hull correct? I was wondering what those where for LOL

Thanks. Looks like there was more water in the cylinders than I thought. Took quite a lot of effort; but, got it out. Dried plugs, and it will start now. Lesson learned about towing.
    PS. don't believe those guys that sell devices that supposedly let you burn water in your engine to get better gas mileage!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information