Beeps, but no start 96 GTI

Guys
    We have a 96 GTI that beeps when you hit the start button, yes the tether is on. The oil light flashes once, but that is it. Battery is at fully charge. I am getting continuity through the start/stop switch and nothing at the switched side of the solinod.

Any ideas???

Sounds most likely to be the solenoid or the fuses before it...if not that then I would dig deeper and check the starter. The brushes may be dirty/worn out or the entire thing could be rusted up inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    Sounds most likely to be the solenoid or the fuses before it...if not that then I would dig deeper and check the starter. The brushes may be dirty/worn out or the entire thing could be rusted up inside.

Well I'm not getting power to the solenoid, and all the fuses are good---I think.

Thanks for the response! Any other ideas??

I was just looking into the wiring diagrams for your machine. Check the 15 amp and 5 amp fuses in your eletrical box that has the ECM inside. You have your two heavy read leads for starting, then a small red, black and yellow-red lead leaving the solenoid. The fuses for the solenoid are on the ECM as it appears by the wiring schematic. If they're ok, then I would think the solenoid, starter or possibly the rectifier are the problem from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    I was just looking into the wiring diagrams for your machine. Check the 15 amp and 5 amp fuses in your eletrical box that has the ECM inside. You have your two heavy read leads for starting, then a small red, black and yellow-red lead leaving the solenoid. The fuses for the solenoid are on the ECM as it appears by the wiring schematic. If they're ok, then I would think the solenoid, starter or possibly the rectifier are the problem from there.
    Thank you for the help, I checked the fuses, they look great, I'm not getting any 12v "signal" at the solenoid to close the contact that send power to the starter. So I think it is inbetween the start/stop switch and the solenoid.

It is possible for the start/stop switch to fail. When you touch the button, do the guages light up? If so then there continuity in the switch. Another thought could be a broken wire between the fuse and the solenoid. I would touch a tester lead to the side of the fuse that is on the wire going to the solenoid, and one in the plug for that wire which plugs into the solenoid. Set your meter on the resistance scale to it's lowest and check for infinite or high resistance. Typically, there shouldn't be higher than 0.3 ohms of resistance on any wire when checking between connectors. Make sure you measure the internal impedance or your meter first. Touch your leads together and see what it says for resistance before starting, for example your meter reads 0.2 ohms of resistance internally. Now when you test if you have that or no more than 0.5 ohms, you're still good. I have read that the wires will break inside the sheath at the deutch connector. It is also possible you may have a break in the wiring under the front lid. When you lift the lid for your front storage, there is a panel on the underside of the lid. Maybe a connector pulled out in there or a broken lead has happened. Mine had been worked on too before I bought the machine. I'll do what I can to help out fella, that's what we're all here for, to offer vairous suggestions
    Last edited by Schwarzenegger; 06-22-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Thread Information