Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Step by Step for Checking Proper Supercharger Slip

I would like to know how to check my own slip movement on my SC. Ive seen it done a few times but I have never done it myself. Would someone write up a "How To" with specific details, tools and pics to show the process, even a video would be nice. Thanks guys

+1

How to Check Supercharger Slip Moment

Remove your supercharger and mount it to the service support plate

Then hold the support plate in a vice.

Use the gear holding tool to hold the gear still

Use a torque wrench to turn the impeller nut counter clockwise. I prefer a dial type torque wrench. That way i can see the point at which the clutch breaks free as well as the "rolling torque" as the clutch is slipping

Last edited by RX951; 07-12-2008 at 05:15 PM.

If you don't want to pull the sc'r to check slip--
    From the rear of the ski, stick a 1/2" x 1/2" piece of wood between the stator vanes and the impeller blades in the pump.
    Pull the air intake off the sc'r.
    Turn the sc'r shaft counterclockwise until the prop hits the block of wood in the pump housing and locks the engine. Note: the drive shaft will turn clockwise as viewed from the rear of the ski.
    Turn the sc'r shaft another full turn or two.
    Then turn the sc'r while increasing the torque setting on the torque wrench until the wrench doesn't (break) and you determine the slip moment.
    Push down slightly on the block of wood in the pump to turn the prop counterclockwise and pull out the block of wood.

If the slip moment is too low, then you will need to pull the sc'r and do as Jerry said above.

Mark

+1
    It is not hard, BUT, I have watched Jerry do this a few times while we were in various conversations. Put together--check--take apart, shim---put together--check--etc. but Jerry makes it look like childs play The MAN for sure.

sorry, got carried away....u gonna check it, u gonna need to build/shim it!
    Last edited by 9secZO6; 07-12-2008 at 08:49 AM. Reason: got ahead of myself :)

Um, quick question, what does it mean when a supercharger clutch is slipping?

Checking Supercharger Slip

Here's my stab at it:

1) Take the supercharger out (instructions elsewhere on this site).
    2) Mount it on the SC support plate, that's mounted on a vise http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=314
    The most crucial part is to have a good dial-type inch-pound torque wrench. Plan on spending a minimum of $140 on this part, and they can easily be $300+ (I personally found a Utica on E-bay). It must read a maximum of 150-200 inch-pounds. It should have a memory needle to show your maximum torque (most dial-types have this).
    3) With the SC secure on the plate, hold the gear still with the gear holding tool: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=314 (I found that I have a large vise wrench that can hold it also.)
    4) Connect the torque wrench to the impeller fan side nut with a 15mm socket and turn counter clockwise at least one full rotation. This is essential; your slip readings will be artificially high without first doing this.
    5) Now, set the memory needle to zero and turn the torque wrench counter clockwise until it slips and you get your slip number. Check a good three times to be sure.
    I personally check the slip going both ways, but some are worried about loosening the nut. I say that if that moves with the little force required to check slip, the nut is already dangerously loose.
    6) BRP says the slip should be between 44 - 88 inch-pounds for a broken-in SC. That is fine for a stock through stage 2 supercharger, but for a stage 3, Rude, etc., the heavier wheel needs more pressure. I'd say:
    Stock thru stage 2 SC: shim to decrease slip if under 55 inch-pounds, aim for 100 inch-pounds.
    Stage 3 and up SC: shim to decrease slip if under 75 inch-pounds, aim for 120 inch-pounds.
    Last edited by RX951; 07-12-2008 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bron1c
    Um, quick question, what does it mean when a supercharger clutch is slipping?
    Since the supercharger is basically geared directly to the engine, the supercharger washers are designed to let the SC shaft (that the boost impeller fan is attached to) slip and stop producing boost under high pressure (like when the throttle is cut quickly, and the engine is no longer consuming a high volume of air, the SC must slip a little to relieve the boost pressure). If the slip resistance gets too low on these washers, it doesn't take as much pressure to make them slip during normal full throttle runs, which will reduce the boost produced.

Smile

Not meaning to hi-jack thread , but at what point of over shimming or to high slip torque begin to cause damage any ideas from those who run stage 3 or really want max boost???THanks>Marvin

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    Since the supercharger is basically geared directly to the engine, the supercharger washers are designed to let the SC shaft (that the boost impeller fan is attached to) slip and stop producing boost under high pressure (like when the throttle is cut quickly, and the engine is no longer consuming a high volume of air, the SC must slip a little to relieve the boost pressure). If the slip resistance gets too low on these washers, it doesn't take as much pressure to make them slip during normal full throttle runs, which will reduce the boost produced.
    so the SC itself actually moves?

Quote Originally Posted by bron1c
    so the SC itself actually moves?
    The SC housing does not move, but the gear, shaft and boost wheel inside the housing are always moving (spinning) when the engine is running. When the washers slip is the only time the wheel is not spinning at the same RPM as the gear. The supercharger is not really producing what we call boost into the intake manifold until it is spinning at about 35,000 rpms (or about 6300 engine rpms).

Quote Originally Posted by mrjetskey
    at what point of over shimming or to high slip torque begin to cause damage any ideas from those who run stage 3 or really want max boost???
    I personally don't have that number; there are many, many others with more experience than me in that area, but I'd venture a guess that over 175 inch-pounds of slip, you're running the risk of shearing the SC gear or snapping the shaft. A higher number is not going to produce more boost, and in fact, I would believe anything above 120 inch-pounds is just going to wear out your washers faster, and require a supercharger rebuild sooner.
    Last edited by VX1; 07-12-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information