Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: jet puller ?

+1

jet puller ?

I have a chevy tahoe, but am looking to get a grand prix gt. Anyone pull a ski with a front wheel drive car? I'm wondering if it's ever hard getting traction on the ramp. Any input would be appreciated.

Thilo
    No problem at all!
    You can pull a single ski with a civic.

+1
    Thanks for the reply...

I'm hoping for a little more information, maybe someone who does this. If anyone pulls around 1200lbs worth of ski & trailer with a comparable v6, 200 hp front wheel sedan that weighs about 3200 lbs., please chime in. I'm looking for experiences anyone has had at boat launches. I'd like to know how it handles with a steeper, wet incline and going over steep hills because I'd like to change vehicles, but won't do so if towing a jet ski is not reccommended with a grand prix. Thanks in advance for the info.

I pull a single with a FWD 200hp hatch.. Never had a problem at the ramp. It took me all the way down to MB '08 too

Quote Originally Posted by ajrunke View Post
    Thanks for the reply...

I'm hoping for a little more information, maybe someone who does this. If anyone pulls around 1200lbs worth of ski & trailer with a comparable v6, 200 hp front wheel sedan that weighs about 3200 lbs., please chime in. I'm looking for experiences anyone has had at boat launches. I'd like to know how it handles with a steeper, wet incline and going over steep hills because I'd like to change vehicles, but won't do so if towing a jet ski is not reccommended with a grand prix. Thanks in advance for the info.
    I used to pull my 00 xp and 03 gtx s/c with my V-6 Honda Accord and it could handle the load, but was always very careful not to gun it up hills or jumping on the brakes. The only bad thing that happended and something to watch for is backing down a ramp that is not very steep, many times I took water in the back seat trying to get the skis on/off the trailer. Never had a problem with getting stuck.

Thilo
    I pulled a double trailer, with breakes on it and dampers, with a RXT and a RXP with a 1.9 liters, 105hp Volkswagen Golf. and it was also a diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
    No problem at all!
    You can pull a single ski with a civic.
    I have seen that done and it is funny. the RXT is almost bigger than the car.

I've seen cars pull skis before too. My friend uses a late 80's Volkswagen jetta diesel lol. But one thing you need to know, and I know this first hand...my best friend has a 99 Grand Am GT...it's a horrible car. It looks nice and all but he had to have the intake manifold gasket replaced and it's not a cheap job. When he had his replaced, it lasted 16 thousand miles and needs it again. At 1500 per repair bill, this time it was a let it die mentallity. Also the traction control warning sound comes on when driving normally on dry pavement all the time. He has had the ABS control die once...that was 600 just for the parts. The window on the passenger side unrolled on it's own a few times, every time he takes it in there are several new codes from sensors going bad. His ECM died once too. Pontiac has had numerous complaints about the reliability of these cars and apparently didn't do anything to cure the problems since they didn't show up until a couple of years later. It's up to you but check into the pros and cons before you sink your money into that one. The Alero has the same engine with the same issues too. My buddy hates his car so much that he says he will never buy or reccomend them again. The only one he has read any somewhat respectable reviews about is the Vibe. Just remember...there's a reason for a cheap pricetag

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ajrunke View Post
    ...pulls around 1200lbs worth of ski & trailer with a comparable v6, 200 hp front wheel sedan that weighs about 3200 lbs., please chime in. I'm looking for experiences anyone has had at boat launches. I'd like to know how it handles with a steeper, wet incline and going over steep hills because I'd like to change vehicles...
    I use a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx to pull a double Triton Elite trailer with two Polaris 3 seater PWC. Total trailer+PWC weight would be around 1800lbs. Trailer tires are 13 inch Goodyear Marathons.

The Maxx is an extended wheelbase version of the Malibu sedan (2004-2007 only), but the overall length is the same, bumper to bumper. FWD with an automatic transmission, 3.5 liter V6 rated at 205HP, IIRC.

I have not had any problem so far at launch ramps. The front wheel drive is generally fine, since the rear tires are the ones on the sloped, slippery part of the ramp, while the fronts have fairly dry traction to work with.

Traction control helps balance the grip when needed. Loose gravel at the top of the ramp is something to watch for, as any tire will have less grip on loose material.

I have a Class 2.5 hitch (3500lb rating, but the car itself is rated for less), with a loaded ball height of about 17 inches, to match the trailer ride height.

The Maxx pulls and handles the loaded trailer fairly well. You do notice the extra load weight, but fuel economy with the trailer, at highway cruise, is about 22mpg, measured on my last long trip. Acceleration is adequate, as is braking.

Towing isn't so much about HP as it is torque. If the engine torque output, plus your gear selection, is reasonable, you can handle most hills without loosing much speed. On steep hills with the trailer, you will be down-shifting and the engine will need to rev some, but the rest of the time, you are burning less fuel than many SUV/trucks consume running without a trailer.

My ownership experience with the Malibu Maxx has been troublefree to date. I love the utility on the hatchback design, and huge legroom in the rear seat.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    I've seen cars pull skis before too. My friend uses a late 80's Volkswagen jetta diesel lol. But one thing you need to know, and I know this first hand...my best friend has a 99 Grand Am GT...it's a horrible car. It looks nice and all but he had to have the intake manifold gasket replaced and it's not a cheap job. When he had his replaced, it lasted 16 thousand miles and needs it again. At 1500 per repair bill, this time it was a let it die mentallity. Also the traction control warning sound comes on when driving normally on dry pavement all the time. He has had the ABS control die once...that was 600 just for the parts. The window on the passenger side unrolled on it's own a few times, every time he takes it in there are several new codes from sensors going bad. His ECM died once too. Pontiac has had numerous complaints about the reliability of these cars and apparently didn't do anything to cure the problems since they didn't show up until a couple of years later. It's up to you but check into the pros and cons before you sink your money into that one. The Alero has the same engine with the same issues too. My buddy hates his car so much that he says he will never buy or reccomend them again. The only one he has read any somewhat respectable reviews about is the Vibe. Just remember...there's a reason for a cheap pricetag
    Thanks for the heads up...I'm aware of the intake manifold gasket as I replaced mine 2 years ago. Its the dex cool gm used in their late 90's to 2003. It eats away at the gasket. I replaced mine with a reinforced gasket, I wonder if the repair shop did not use the reinforced gasket. It should last til the car dies. That's one reason why I'm lookin at '04 or later, not only that but its the new body style and it's sweet looking. Now the only problem is selling a mint condition tahoe for a fraction of what I bought it for. SUV's demand sucks right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information