God of the Wave spyder3000gtvr4's Avatar

best problem ever very interesting. motor runs without spark plug wires

ok i have a gpr with a 1460 motor. went to run the motor for the first time, since putting the ski together ground up. everything is fine no gas in the carbs prime the line starts up, dies. prime it starts up dies, prime it starts up goes to die so i hit the prime 2 more times. ok fuel in the line runs MINT!!!! MINT i tell ya. hit the gas revs up 5k dies down a little bit about 3k ok weird hit the gas again 5k dies down to about 4k..... ok problem. go to turn the ski off, hit the button nothing wont turn off.... heres where it gets good. wont turn off with button its reving at about 3k, pull the all 3 spark plug wires.... STILL RUNNING!!!!!!! without spark plug wires !!! WTF (best ski ever ) !!! turn the main fuel line off...........STILL RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i loosened up 2 spark plugs and removed the third and it finally died... WHAT gives where do i even wanna start trying to figure this one out?

+1
    start by searching on lean runaway

I adjusted the idle and re-adjusted the 6 t-handles on the carbs to make sure they were in the correct position. All were a hair off. That front bottom one is fun, the rest were painless. The ski started right back up and seems to be running 100% normal.

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    desiel

sounds like a vacume leak.
    Mike

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by spyder3000gtvr4 View Post
    I adjusted the idle and re-adjusted the 6 t-handles on the carbs to make sure they were in the correct position. All were a hair off. That front bottom one is fun, the rest were painless. The ski started right back up and seems to be running 100% normal.
    Thats cause the empty carbs finally filled up with fuel.

I always tell people after doing a set of carbs to hook everything up and crank the ski with the plug wires off until you have fuel coming from the return line this means all the fuel pumps have filled with gas. Some people have used bulb primers inline to prime the system.

LOL well you never told me HA! i researched the lean runaway and it turns out this is a commom thing i thought i was cool and original oh well guess ill have to go ride my uncool ski now

+1
    I use a bulb primer but pulling the wires and turning the ski over till fuel is present in the return line like Bill stated is another good method.

yet another problem

ok went to the dock hit the start button fires right up, put it in the water hit the start button fires right up, sounds mean. get out of the slow zone give it some gas no pep.... im thinking a 1460 motor will throw me back. ok so im giving it the gas it only hits about 5500 rpm. and is going about 35mph then chokes out and dies. wont fire back up.... hit the prime its full, i have no clue. i did notice what sounded like an air leak a slight hissing but went away if i leaned the ski to the left side, hissed again if i leaned right for a second. kept doing this when i would hit the starter. so after about 20 minutes of tinkering and drifting (and poping my primer line off the carb) i figure let me try the reserve fuel setting (reserve on my ski is the oil tank since im running premix. I rule, I know) it fires up after about 10 seconds and runs fine so i fly the mile back to the dock but its still only hitting about 5500 rpm.
    now i know this is 2 diffrent problems im thinking clogged main line. and 5500rpm that isnt good unless my throttle is out of adjustment. but i believe its hitting 8k or so on land. compression check? on my new 1460 motor.
    when i go to put my primer line back on im going to see how hard it will be to tap it into the return line now
    my carbs are set to 1 turn bottom and 2 turns top

I was advised that it was most likely my powervalve servo. well i tested my powervalve servo according to the diagram in the manual. and my powervalve servo didnt move at all. so this should be the fix to the new problem.
    that goes nicely along with the flat tire on the trailer at the ramp and the bolts rusted, and blowing my starter relay when i got home testing the servo. im on a roll today
    Last edited by spyder3000gtvr4; 06-21-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Thread Information