Fairlanex

Ocms Kit???? Read This First

Hi Guys,
    Before I begin here are some disclaimers:
    I'm not bashing anyone or anyones products.
    I'm not an engineer (I am a scientist)
    My results are just that, MY RESULTS
    Make you own opinions considering all avail info.

I had an 07 250x which had major GIO issues plus some others that were taking forever to sort out so I upgraded to 08 250X(Green)

To date I have not identified a GIO problem but I had only 5 hrs bfore today

After reading all the posts about the return line from the catch can and thinking it could be a problem solver (or preventitive)I tried an experiment similar to some others on this forum where I connected a length of clear hose to the bottom outlet of the can and looping it up higher so I could catch and collect any fluid that would normally return to the sump area.

Today I ran the ski today for less that an hour , at around 70% WOT and 2 bars fo fuel.

Air temp around 25C and water about the same (Its winter here in Cairns, Aust!)
    Fresh water and less than 1 foot chop

When I got back in I found the clear tube had brownish fluid in it. I was sort of happy I caught something thinking it would be fuel etc.
    Anyhow I drained it and heres what I found:

620ml of OIL
    and less than 1ml water
    I couldn't distinguish any fuel but there was a bit of a gas smell (which I consider normal unless oil level is rising)
    So will I be blocking that tube off - NOPE!

I don't know at what level the oil level is critical (SKIP?) but I'm gussing I wouldn't have been far off though the nature of a jetski leads me to think there would be some room for fluctuation.

I invite discussion from OCMS and anyone else interested.

It has been suggested that any siginificant amount of oil in the catch can is symptomatic of a serious problem. I don't have any other symptoms of any problems. The only thing I can think of that may be a contributor is that the commonly high factory oil level. It was reading a poofteenth over high (less than 1mm on the stick)

What d ya reckon?????
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 07-15-2008 at 09:49 PM.

Your ski was probably overfilled with oil. I have the same looped clear hose on mine and I have caught very little blowby but what was in there was mostly fuel with a tad of oil. I keep my ski at the proper level as per skips recom. This has been discussed numerous times but imo I wouldnt want that crap to drain back in the pan thinning the oil.

A picture is worth a thousand words. All gas here and little or no oil. Just adding my results to the mix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	161_6152.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	918.5 KB 
ID:	79004  

+1
    I have done the same mod with the R&D vent kit and I catch 2-4 oz of pure gas every tank burned. But guess what? I do not have a GIO problem anymore and the oil level is fine and smells like oil. I am keeping mine set up as is, because it has eliminated the problem...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDome View Post
    I have done the same mod with the R&D vent kit and I catch 2-4 oz of pure gas every tank burned. But guess what? I do not have a GIO problem anymore and the oil level is fine and smells like oil. I am keeping mine set up as is, because it has eliminated the problem...
    I have basically the same setup on my ski and the oil smells and feels like oil. If your oil smells like gas you are getting gas in it. It may be small, but it is happening.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JWilson View Post
    I have basically the same setup on my ski and the oil smells and feels like oil. If your oil smells like gas you are getting gas in it. It may be small, but it is happening.
    Jwilson,
    PM me with your vent kit mod..

Scott

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fairlanex View Post
    Hi Guys,

I had an 07 250x which had major GIO issues plus some others that were taking forever to sort out so I upgraded to 08 250X(Green)

After reading all the posts about the return line from the catch can and thinking it could be a problem solver (or preventitive)I tried an experiment similar to some others on this forum where I connected a length of clear hose to the bottom outlet of the can and looping it up higher so I could catch and collect any fluid that would normally return to the sump area.

Today I ran the ski today for less that an hour , at around 70% WOT and 2 bars fo fuel.

When I got back in I found the clear tube had brownish fluid in it. I was sort of happy I caught something thinking it would be fuel etc.

620ml of OIL
    and less than 1ml water
    I couldn't distinguish any fuel but there was a bit of a gas smell (which I consider normal unless oil level is rising)

I don't know at what level the oil level is critical (SKIP?) but I'm gussing I wouldn't have been far off though the nature of a jetski leads me to think there would be some room for fluctuation.

It has been suggested that any siginificant amount of oil in the catch can is symptomatic of a serious problem. I don't have any other symptoms of any problems. The only thing I can think of that may be a contributor is that the commonly high factory oil level. It was reading a poofteenth over high (less than 1mm on the stick)

What d ya reckon?????
    I think it is important to once again note you actually don’t have the Oil Contamination Management System (OCMS), but are clearly cautioning against its implementation. It seems you have tried to mimic the OCMS in order to collect condensed fluids that others here have reported great success with (which is likely why you attempted this in the first place). Unfortunately, with the modifications you have made and conditions present, a significant amount of mixed fluids were discovered (620ml = a little over ˝ US quart), which I do not doubt in your situation, a good portion was oil, and caused some strong feelings.

I too would be concerned and try to figure out why, particularly with the reports of success. One particular success story with the OCMS saved someone’s engine from eminent failure as a side effect! http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61641
    A couple of things come to mind based mainly on what you posted:
    1. Your oil level was in fact higher than spec (maybe even higher than you thought! See link below)
    2. Your mod did prevent at least some or all contaminants from returning to your pan.
    3. What you have collected is likely significantly contaminated with carbon considering its color you describe. I’d imagine that @ 5hrs you have just changed your oil so it’s fresh, or after 5 hrs of use, the oil in your pan is still fairly new and should be relatively transparent, unlike the description what was collected.

Accurately checking and setting your oil level is probably the most important part here. It also cannot be stressed enough to continuously monitor and adjust (which is a lot easier and cost effective than having to change it prematurely).

There have been so many issues with this over the last year and a half. Some have indicated that they pulled six quarts out but read “good” on their dipstick. Some have reported oil in their intake tract/fouled intercooler which was also later discovered due to a high oil level condition. Some have had other major mechanical problems such as excessive blowby, which the OCMS or other products available can’t correct.

Here are a couple of good threads to read:
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35547
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37485

I hope you find this information useful and come back with your findings should you decide to give it another try, or implement the actual system you are referencing.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 07-15-2008 at 09:48 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fairlanex View Post
    Hi Guys,

620ml of OIL
    and less than 1ml water

What d ya reckon?????
    i reckon your oil level was up the ****!!! did you check level after you removed the 620ml. its easy to over fill by the amount you are mentioning. i personally would remove all your oil and refill with the recommended amount as posted on here somewhere. from memory should be between 3.7-4.0ltrs. also if you are worried about blocking off oil drain line just get it moved to the side of the can and still put a tap on the bottom, that way you still have protection of oil returning to sump and option of draining excess away.
    just my bits worth.

cheers.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 07-15-2008 at 09:47 PM.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    i reckon your oil level was up the ****!!! did you check level after you removed the 620ml. its easy to over fill by the amount you are mentioning. i personally would remove all your oil and refill with the recommended amount as posted on here somewhere. from memory should be between 3.7-4.0ltrs. also if you are worried about blocking off oil drain line just get it moved to the side of the can and still put a tap on the bottom, that way you still have protection of oil returning to sump and option of draining excess away.
    just my bits worth.

cheers.
    yep yep

here my one ,been very sucessfull since Feb this year
    warren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7849.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	79099  

Thread Information