Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

? for those who have melted exhaust pipe.

This is for you guys who have melted your Riva Plastic exhaust pipe: Where did it burn thru? Did it loose it`s shape at the clamps?

I know under normal conditions, you can have trouble free use of the Riva exhaust pipe. But some of us had the high temps alarm come on after ingesting something in the pump or whatever the mechanical reason was. I just want to compare your meltdown to mine...Thanks...PR...

PR...do you have pics of yours?

+1
    Andy, I saw one from a guy's ski that completely melted while racing me. Needless to say after spankin him...lol, I had to tow him back to his marina before it sank. I had to keep it on plane or it would've been an anchor! When I finally saw the plastic pipe, you couldn't even tell it was a pipe. Just a long flat blob of melted plastic.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    what bugs me out is..... we have a million threads of people saying HELP, my ski is overheatin, HELP, my exhaust temp sesnor keeps going off..... yet when it really matters, that damn alarm just wont go off, lol.

why is the alarm not going off before that plastic tube melts? at what temp will the sensor trip the alarm? at what temp does the plastic melt?

+1
    In this guys case he said it only would go off at WOT. So during the race he decided to ignore it for just a few seconds longer than usual ,and that's all she wrote

+1

Wink

That plastic melt when it gets real hot. Some people just ask the dumbest questions. Better ask 11 if its ok to melt your plastic pipe as the db`s go way high. Sounds like Tommy Lee hammering out a riff. Quiet,,,there is a yellow belly red crested sparrow in that tree over there. And a crab eating mullet crap on the bottom. And an old lady pulling weeds out of her garden with her crack showing. Don`t melt the pipe. Thats a real crime against humanity there.
    Last edited by Green Hulk; 07-06-2006 at 07:02 AM.

I would bet that most of the people that have melted the Riva plastic exhaust have either re-located the sensor or bypassed it in some way.

For the plastic to get so hot as to deform and melt would definately cause the high temp alarm to go off if it is functioning normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    what bugs me out is..... we have a million threads of people saying HELP, my ski is overheatin, HELP, my exhaust temp sesnor keeps going off..... yet when it really matters, that damn alarm just wont go off, lol.

why is the alarm not going off before that plastic tube melts? at what temp will the sensor trip the alarm? at what temp does the plastic melt?

PR: I have encountered the same problem. Mine melted in 2 places, primarily at the end of the bend. PPG metal one on the way. (Plus I have a full RR waterbox and custom pipe on order with Mark U)

I am about to try something else. Many racers are running w/out the water line hooked to the very rear of the pipe, right @ the outlet. They are simply blocking the hose and the fitting off with a bolt & clamp. I tried this by running water through my exhaust manifold and saw a very noticeable increase in pressure (obviously) going to the hose leading to the j-pipe (ahead of the temp sensor). The water line to the rear of the exhaust pipe works primarily to quiet things down.

I will post results this wknd. Anyone else try this?

Brendan
    Last edited by BDNJ; 07-06-2006 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HOSS
    That plastic melt when it gets real hot. Some people just ask the dumbest questions. Better ask 11 if its ok to melt your plastic pipe as the db`s go way high. Sounds like Tommy Lee hammering out a riff. Quiet,,,there is a yellow belly red crested sparrow in that tree over there. And a crab eating mullet crap on the bottom. And an old lady pulling weeds out of her garden with her crack showing. Don`t melt the pipe. Thats a real crime against humanity there.

Hoss: LMAO...you're too much!

+1
    I asked this question once before. Why would anyone want to use a plastic exhaust pipe? Common sense would keep most people from installing one. What gives? What am I missing? (other than a dry boat )

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information