Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool 2004 RXP Top hood chrome molding removal

I know most ask performance mechanical questions here but "we", my neighbor and I, are perplexed as to how one removes the top "chrome" molding on the hood on my 2004 RXP. I think the later models came in black. One of my plastic fasteners snapped off, so we decided to try and remove the molding and install the new chrome piece. What a PITA!

My nieghbor is an ex gm parts guy, has had 5 Sea Doos (just bought the new 255hp RXT), so he knows a thing or two about taking stuff apart. He couldn't figure it out so called his buddy the parts manager at the local Sea Doo Shop and between the two of them over the phone they still couldn't figure it out.

Unless some has the answer or pics, I may be forced to bring her in for the locals shop to rape me for installation.

I need help.

Thanks

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    it's screwed in..

you need to separate the hood halves... take the outter shelf off the black inner base

+1
    There are a ton of screws to seperate the hood halves. Also the chrome piece has clips along with screws.

Yes there are alot of screws, however, even when removed all the small stainless screws on the back of the hood, we still had trouble.

I guess I have several others questions:

1) Is is just a matter tracking down all the screws and popping it off? Or, in addition to the screws, does it also snap into place with clips?

2) Do you need to take apart or separate the upper AND lower swing/latch. The lower latch has a snap ring holding in place.

Sorry to insist, but would prefer to hear feedback from only those who have actually taken this thing apart. No guessing please. Thanks.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i've taken tons of them apart... i'm a full-time mechanic for seadoo dealership... to put my credentials out on the table

trust me... u need to totally separate the hood halves. the latch has to come off, the little 5.5mm screws.. then the hood slide locks together...

you need to totally take the painted shell off the black base piece and behind there are screws holding the chrome piece on, and clips holding it in place

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    i've taken tons of them apart... i'm a full-time mechanic for seadoo dealership... to put my credentials out on the table

trust me... u need to totally separate the hood halves. the latch has to come off, the little 5.5mm screws.. then the hood slide locks together...

you need to totally take the painted shell off the black base piece and behind there are screws holding the chrome piece on, and clips holding it in place
    shibby is spot on with that.... its a PITA but comes apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post

Shibby, Thanks for the insight. This is exactly what my neighbor has explained he did, so as a follow up do we do anything with the electronics and once everything is unscrewed, does this thing slide out, snap out or need to pryed off? The inner peice seems to be bit flimsy.

I am sorry to keep asking but it seemed like it was a bit tight or snug.

The inner shell is actually quite strong, once all the screws are removed the inner shell slides down and then pulls out. There are two tabs that sorta lock it in there. You should not have to pry at it, if it doesn't seem loose enough to come out check around for a forgotten screw.

i'm having the same problem do you have to take the long screw out on the bottom that attach to the hinge?

+1
    No,you dont unscrew anything that goes to the hinge....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information