Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Looking for more acceleration (not top speed) for a RXP-X

Rode the ski a lot this weekend and I'm really liking acceleration over top speed. It seems you can't have both as the kits decrease hole shot to get additional top speed. The water conditions where I ride are rarely "glass" and seeing 70 is easy in short spurts but even that or more speed with lots of rogue chop waves isn't something I'm too interested in.

Plus, I've found being quicker off the line keeps the distance between others for a while before top speed becomes a factor...and again, see above, conditions are not good for speeds over 60 when and where I ride.

So...I want more acceleration. I've got the Riva intake grate that is still in the box. Would the 15/22 give more acceleration without the reduction nozzle? How about the intake manifold restrictor removed? And is it worth getting the RR impeller w/ spacer or an ECU stretching the RPMs and going through all the valve upgrades for acceleration or is this ski at it's max for hole shot?

Quote Originally Posted by rx4pain View Post
    Rode the ski a lot this weekend and I'm really liking acceleration over top speed. It seems you can't have both as the kits decrease hole shot to get additional top speed. The water conditions where I ride are rarely "glass" and seeing 70 is easy in short spurts but even that or more speed with lots of rogue chop waves isn't something I'm too interested in.

Plus, I've found being quicker off the line keeps the distance between others for a while before top speed becomes a factor...and again, see above, conditions are not good for speeds over 60 when and where I ride.

So...I want more acceleration. I've got the Riva intake grate that is still in the box. Would the 15/22 give more acceleration without the reduction nozzle? How about the intake manifold restrictor removed? And is it worth getting the RR impeller w/ spacer or an ECU stretching the RPMs and going through all the valve upgrades for acceleration or is this ski at it's max for hole shot?
    If you have a nice, fat, budget you should purchase the Riva Stage 1 kit (with smaller nozzle), an aftermarket ECU with the valve upgrades, a Rude S/C then purchase a 3 blade impeller pitched for the setup. The holeshot should be better and the top speed will also be higher. Make sure you don't get bucked off though...

+1
    If you have the cash go for the ECU, I'm using the stock 87mm nozzle and acceleration is awesome! I did test a stock RXP 84mm nozzle this weekend. I noticed a very small drop in acceleration and no increase in top speed and I was running the exact same RPM's, strange.

BLACK MAGIC HEADERS hydrojunkie's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rx4pain View Post

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IS TOSS THE STOCK WATERBOX WITH THE RESINATOR, GO REAR THRUHULL WITH A GIBSON. WICKED ACCELERATION . I WAS IMPRESSED

definitely a 4'' air intake. the manifold block off helps with pull in the midrange.
    also a skat trak prop will accelerate things quicker. i think its a 14/19, but i would double check. but in order to turn the prop you will need more horsepower, hence the air intake and manifold upgrade.
    R&D grate is awesome hookup in chop

as for the rr wheel and spacer i have heard that it does hardly anything for the amount of $$$ spent but if anyone disagrees please comment as im gonna need to do something with the charger soon as time for rebuild is approaching faster than i thought.

I have a RXT-X and after putting 20 hours on it in 3 weeks top end to me is over-rated. Whats fun is hitting the gas at 20 and jumping a wave, also I ride in some chop as well 90% of the time. I think top end will come with better low end or are we always going to have to choose 1 or the other?

+1
    Thanks for the info brendus on the RR wheel.

I just saw your video hydrojunkie on the gibson exhaust and went to the online store. So this is just a replacement for the waterbox and you have to run a thru hull? I've already ditched the resonator and have the free flow, but that gibson exhaust seems to be a great bang for the buck. I'm not sure I want to dive into the money pit with the ECU and valve, etc. direction. I spent a lot of money on my '04 RXP and it never seemed to pay off in terms of satisfaction or quinching my mod thirst in comparison to the monies spent.

did removing the resonator help a bit??? how is this done??? with the gibson you need a j-pipe (where do you get one???) and thru hull tip. all up just under $600. im pretty sure you have to remove the opas since going with a thru hull exhaust tip.

+1
    Funny thing when I got my X...I put on the Riva sponsons, RE blockoffs, removed the resonator and put in the free flow pipe, and took off all the stickers before I even attached the lanyard for the first time.

The resonator is a biotch to take out. Some say remove or flip up the throttle body to make room for it to be slid forward and out. Others, like the Riva instructions that you can find on their website http://www.rivamotorsports.com/instructions/rs16080.pdf say to remove the VTS and intercooler. I actually removed the intercooler because that's also a good time to replace the hose clamps. But I ended up taking a reciprocating saw and cut the resonator up into about 3 large pieces and removed it that way. Just try and cover the area with towels or something and vacuum up all the plastic shavings it leaves behind. Still easier and quicker to do that way.

As far as performance, well like I said I hadn't even started the ski before doing that mod so I can't say for sure what it adds besides an awesome sound! The X with just the resonator removed sounds like my '04 sounded with the waterbox modded and free flow.
    Last edited by rx4pain; 06-23-2008 at 08:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information