Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SL750's Not runnin...Help please?

Hey everyone....Been trolling your site for awhile. Great board, and from what i have read so far knowledgable people.

I did do some searching the last few nights. But have not found what seems to be the problem.

I have 2 1994 polaris SL750's. Niether one will run right. I purchased these last week. Did a compression test on both. 100 105ish on both crafts. They sound great in the garage.

The first time i put them in the water, you hit the gas and they die. (both machines) Idle good, but nothing. So i came home got on here. Decided to check the fuel lines in the tank. Both machines had rotted fuellines. Replaced fuel lines all the way to the fuel pump this mornin.

Went out again today. Hit the gas on machine #1 and it was still hesistant. If you pull the choke and feather the throttle for a brief second then it would get up out of its own way. Then to keep it runnin you had to go in a straight line. Or make it hop as your going across the water. Then it would bog out eventually. Wot would Just kill it from a stand still.

Machine #2 wouldnt even get that far. Just idles and really boggy as your going. WOT would just kill it.

I am in denver colorado, 6000 feet.

I probably will be ordering the Better fuel pumps this week. I hope that fixes the issues.

Sorry about the long first post. But i am almost at my wits end with these machines. I really would appreciate any suggestions or hints on what to check without throwing a ton of cash at these things.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk!

You will probably see the suggestion to pull those carbs off, and clean them up, especially the internal filter screens.

Replace the rest of those fuel lines to the carbs, and upgrade to a three outlet fuel pump, if you can.

Also, if the gasoline is old/stale, that won't be helping you.

Those compression numbers seem a tad low, but if they are fairly even across all the cylinders, that is probably not the main problem.

Be sure to download the 1992-1998 Service Manual.

There might be some info in there regarding high altitude operation. While you have the carbs open, check the size numbers of the jets.

Also, set the carbs to stock screw settings (for you altitude), in case it is just a case of badly adjusted carbs. Even if that works, you should still do the carb cleaning and other upgrade stuff.

+1
    Hi Yota, K has some great advice there. Also be sure to run the high elevation jets and impeller.

yeah i already downloaded that manual....thanks beerdart.

The skis (suppposedly) ran great last year for the previous owners. I will pull the carbs off. And check them out.

What is the proper plug part number for my skis? Something in that downloadable manual stated that the part numbers were wrong or something.

I appreciate the help, These are my first skis that i have owned. always rode everyone elses. But right now i am beginning to think this was not such a good purchase.

Ok....carbs are off. Never taken that long in my life to take 6 fricken nuts off. I dont think the carbs have ever been off of it. The factory blue paint is now falling off due to the fuel getting on it.

I pulled the plate off. Nothing looks to dirty. Is the screen in the carb the little see through one or is there another?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yota_Junkie View Post
    ...Is the screen in the carb the little see through one or is there another?
    Have a look at these Mikuni carburetor rebuild guides.

very usefull thank you.

What is the proper spark plug part #??

And who are some vendors that sell the triple pump kit?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yota_Junkie View Post
    ...What is the proper spark plug part #?...
    Answer would be in the Service Manual.

ok...As i stated before the manual mentioned something about the plug # being misprinted in the manual.

Anyone got a part number for the triple pump? Is that something i can purchase around here somewhere? Or is that an order item only?

Thanks

One carb diaphram was stuck to the backing plate. That cant be a good thing right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information