Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MDB

Cool Novice - SL750 running on 2

I bought a pair of 95 SL 750's, one the guy said needs a new "wiring harness". Runs on two cylinders . Front most cylinder not firing as I can pull the wire off andi t runs the same. It has "kicked in" once or twicwe and when it does it runs strong - so I don't think it's a problem with the piston at all - but wiring. I've seen wiring harness for sale on parts sites, but can I open the black box to replace? Is there some other way to check first to see if it is the wires, vs mag? Anything else I should check? Appreciate any direction anyone can offer here. I'm fine working on cars, but this is my first attemp at one of these.

Unrelated, what shoudl top end on these machines be? My other one runs great atnd tops out about 45 MPH. Is that normal?

thanks

MDB..........................

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM
    unscrew the spark plug boot and clip 1/4 inch of and srew it back on and check
    do a compression test on all the skis anyway
    have fun and enjoy
    mattman

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    do you have a multi meter?
    take some pics of the wires that need to be fixed
    i might have a box you can just drop in and splice the wires and go (if your stator(alternater/timing pickup)is still in working order )--muti meter area
    mattman

MDB

running on two

Thanks much for the advice guys! I love this forum. What a great service. Will try the clip and splice first, and will also send some pics.

I've also been hearing a lot about upgrading to a 3 hose pump. Should that be an automatic?

thanks again for the information

MDB.......................

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk MDB.

The triple outlet fuel pump, or rebuilding the stocker is only part of the automatic response.

You also need to replace the fuel hoses due to age. Inside the fuel tank as well. And be on the look out for the resrtictor inside the fuel return hose. That needs to be re-installed.

Clean/inspect the carbs and petcock thoroughly.

MDB

Thanks!

Thanks much for the advice. Greatly appreciated by a novice like me. I'm fine with a simple V8 - but these things are a little different.

If running well - how fast should these things go? The one that does seem to run well does about 45.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    If clipping the plug wires back a little doesn't help, you should really ohm test the elec system from inside the elec box. That will tell you the status of the components.

And the Top Speed of a stock 750 should be around 48 MPH on flat water. So 45 is really close.

MDB

Still no go

ok - I clipped 1/4 inch off, and actually even peeleb back some of the rubber to make sure I had good wire, then put a new end connection on the wire and connected it to the plug - just to make sure it was hot. It's got spark - and compression is good (135). Plugs are good - so now I'm thinking fuel isn't getting to that carb. I ran it last night with the seat and cover off after doing the wire fix, and there seems ot be some sort of blowback coming from the direction of that forwardmost carb position. I'm thinking I need to pull the ful lines - blow out or replace - replace all the filters. If I just dump some fuel right into that carb to see if it runs on all three - and it does - then I know it's fuel delivery - right?

What else shoudl I be doing?

thanks much

MDB.........................

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I TELL MOST EVERYONE THAT BUYS THESE SKIS TO REBUILD THE CARBS AND THE PUMP. That why you know you have good fuel and shouldn't burn down a engine if carb is adjusted right. Blow back out of a carb could be a bad reed in that cylinder, Easy to check when you have the carbs off anyways.

MDB

Reed?

Like I said before- I'm great with cars - but help me out here - what is a reed and how do I check to know if it's good or bad? If I need new ones - are these easy to get?

thanks much

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information