XLT 1200 Help, Please.

I have a pair of 2002 XLT 1200. They have around 75 hours each. Last year I put D-plates and wave eaters on them. Also had to replace a set of reed valves in one of them. Now I have one that is acting up. This is the one that I DIDN'T replace the reed valves in. It won't go over 40 MPH. It is real doggy when you gun it. Just doesn't get up an go. When it sat on the beach for about an hour and went to leave it ran fine, got it up to 55 mph. Then I slowed down to wait for the other machine to catch up and once again only 40 mph. It just seem like it was chuggin along. I am thinking it is the reed valves but thought I would get some help on this. Thanks

Pooner

+1
    The ski's are 6 years old now. Time to go through the carbs for a good cleaning/rebuild.

Well took the carbs off and they are clean. Found lots of oil in the rear cylinder. Also the spark plug in the rear cylinder looked like it wasn't firing. The plug was new and still looks new. The others look like they were firing fine. I put the plug on the wires and turned it over and they all sparked fine. I'm confused now. Any help would be apprieciated. Thanks

Pooner

XLT 1200- I raced that platform back in 99-01 off shore.
    A simple question for you- are your powervalves- particularly the one on that cylinder that looks oily- functioning properly ?

With the stock power valves you have a cable that goes right to a bell crank on the power valve shaft- this cable is controled by a little electric servo motor- which gets its orders from the XL's ECU.

Take your seat off and plug your lanyard in - try this on both boats-
    when you do you should hear this little electric motor cycle- and unless you have a shroud over the engine- you should be able to see the little bell crank the cables attach to as it moves. This is located on the front left of the engine- near the top. The power valve housings are those 3 little rectangular boxes that stick off the top part of the cylinder on the exhaust side- and has a three piece common shaft that runs front to rear through all three.

This power value motor noise that I describe is a test that the boat does automatically each time you start and stop the engine. First, if you do not hear it cycle when you plug the lanyard in- bilp the start button for a second-(hit kill switch if it starts)- and then listen-

You should hear the power valve motor cycle- If you hear it- good. Now cycle it several times while looking at the shaft that runs through the valves- also look at the end of the shaft on the oily cylinder to see if that end of the shaft is moving. These valves need to be diasassembled and cleaned periodically because they become gunked up w/ 2 stroke oil. Even if the shafts appear to be moving ok you may want to inspect and clean them. 75 hours would not be unreasonable on a stock boat if I remember right.

Now- if you boats are not stock, and the power valves were swapped over to vacuum actuated- (some people actually retrofited some of these boats with individual Sea-Doo Power valves for rough water riding) then these individual power vavles need to be taken off and clean periodically, too. These can hang up one at a time when they get gunked up with injector or pre-mix 2 stroke oil, as well.

good luck- its been a few years since I worked on my XL1200 & GPR 1200- but feel free to message me if you have questions.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pooner View Post
    Well took the carbs off and they are clean. Found lots of oil in the rear cylinder. Also the spark plug in the rear cylinder looked like it wasn't firing. The plug was new and still looks new. The others look like they were firing fine. I put the plug on the wires and turned it over and they all sparked fine. I'm confused now. Any help would be apprieciated. Thanks

Pooner
    Power valve motor is a good canidate

Also just for giggles check that compression

Yes- I remember reeds cracking and warping and even burning on these boats-- you might as well replace them since you have the carbs off...

I did a compression test before I took everything apart. 110,110,105. Was told that this compression tester reads a little low so I'm not concerned with those numbers. The reed valves looked great. That is what I thought I would find wrong. I pulled the head off and everything looked good there. I will pull the power valvles out and clean them. Hope this does the trick. Thanks for the help.

Pooner

+1
    make sure you get the carb filters cleaned out/replaced.

Thread Information