Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hey guys HElp With my Broken virage

Hey guys I have a 2002 polaris virage 800i and I took it out for the weekend.It was running fine untill I go into a corner about 40mph and it made a pretty loud clunk and died.So I waited and it would restart but I could only get it to go about 5mph. The engine will rev but will not go anywhere kinda like a slipping transmission. There is some noise coming from the back of the ski.Im thinking I might of picked up a stick and broke something? It starts and revs out of the water but just some squeeking noises coming from the back. Should there be something im looking for? Next step is to tear apart the back. Thanks for the help JEREMY

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you downloaded the 2002 Service Manual?

Check the jet pump for objects stuck inside. Use a good flashlight, and look in from both ends.

If you have a grinding noise from the rear of the jet pump, you may have failed bearings in the pump stator.

You can turn the engine over by hand to see where the noise is coming from.

Remove the safety lanyard, remove the spark plugs (makes it easier to turn the engine over), and disconnect the battery negative wire (to ensure the engine doesn't try to start while you are working on the pump).

Take off the coupler cover behind the engine (held on with a single gear clamp). Now you can grab the coupler and turn the drive shaft. Listen for where the sound is coming from.

If you think it is the jet pump bearings, then it is time to remove the pump, as per the instructions in the manual. Not all that hard to do, except for loosening it if corrosion is holding it stuck in place.

I've downloaded the manual I will let you know what's up when I get home tonight thanks for the quick reply

+1
    check the splines on both ends of the drive shaft...most likely stripped one end.

ok so I tore the back of the virage apart on my lunch and found a piece of the grate had broken off and went into the impeler the gap between the housing and the impeler still look good but there is some scrapes on the housing but about two inches back from the fins.can I still run this the way it is? I need a new grate can I upgrade and where can I get this stuff? Thanks guys

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ratmuff View Post
    ok so I tore the back of the Virage apart on my lunch and found a piece of the grate had broken off and went into the impeller
    the gap between the housing and the impeller still look good but there is some scrapes on the housing but about two inches back from the fins.
    can I still run this the way it is?
    I need a new grate.
    Can I upgrade and where can I get this stuff?
    Thanks guys
    Wow, broken intake grates are rather rare on Polaris.

Can you post some photos of the damage (grate, impeller, and housing)?

If the engine was jammed by the broken metal intake grate piece, you need to check the splines on both ends of the drive shaft, AND the splines inside the engine coupler, and the impeller. Don't loose the little rubber bumpers that are stuck on each end of the drive shaft.

It is also possible the coupler itself was damaged, if it is one of the big rubber injected ones. If the two parts are no longer firmly connected by the rubber insert, it will slip under load.

There are several intake grate options. There is a discussion regarding intake grates happening here.

+1
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 06-23-2008 at 03:30 PM.

thanks guys I will take some picS tonight hopefully I can just go back together with this I don't want to spend too much on it only time will tell I guess

Smile pics of damage

alright there are some pics of the damage. Man my luck sucks. But I measured the gap between the impeler and the housing and the max is .20 and im way under that.I checked both sides of the shaft and splines look good. i checked the input shaft housing and all the teeth are there. The impeler has a small bend in one of the fins. There is also grinding on the housing but its back from where the fins sit so I think its may be ok? May effect water flow? Let me know Thanks again You guys are the best.
    Jeremy

pics

hell i cant get the pics to post. how do i attach?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information