Thread: '96 SLX Carbs

"Live life to the fullest, no one gets out alive" prunyon's Avatar

'96 SLX Carbs

Hello everyone. Just wanted to thank thise who helped me out last year with some questions on my SLX. Just to recount..my 780SLX had the PTO cylinder rod bearing explode...so I decided to just buy an SBT engine with the 2-year no-fault warranty. Yanked out the original engine, changed over some peripherals, eliminated the oil injection pump (block off plate) and capped the oil nipples n the carbs. Dropped the engine back in and put her back in the water. She fired up right away, but I could tell there was some hesitation in the throttle. I assumed it was from the thicker gas/oil mixture trying to push through the same jets. I have a couple questions. First, do I need to go to larger jets? I have studied the Mukini diagram, and I have a hard time telling if the oil is injected before or after the gas goes through the jet. The ski ran great right before the bearing grenaded.
    Secondly, I had it in the water Sat and Sun. It runs great at 1/2 to WOT (when the high speed kicks in). I am struggling with the lower RPMs (in no wake zones). I was able to make it through the 2 1/2 mile no wake zone by pulling the choke about 1/4 the way and it was able to run ok. I have the low speed screw at about 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 turns. It seems to run a little better if I turn them in to about 1 1/4. But I am hesitant to do so for fear of running lean. I don't mind tearing down the carbs and rebuilding, but wanted to check with the gurus here to see if switching to pre-mix tends to call for some carb adjustments. When I go from start-up, I have to feather (pump) the throttle to get it to take off. I do not know if this is lack of fuel, or the carbs are loaded and getting too much. I will be replacing all the fuel lines this week and ordering rebuild kits for the carbs, but not sure about changing jets. Appreciate the help fellas.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    1 3/8 turn is what the book calls for. Was anything else replaced?

Often SBT uses oversized pistons in the rebuild. Maybe that with the premix is needing a bit more fuel. The using of the choke to make it better seems to agree with that.

Might not be a bad time to rebuild the carbs if you haven't already. What shape were the reeds in?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The oil isn't thick in the gas,you can hardly tell it's there,except by dye in it.And yes,sounds like carb trouble.Do a rebuild to protect that new motor. You shouldn't need to rejet. Sorry so long to reply,we're getting so many questions and post,some slip thru.

"Live life to the fullest, no one gets out alive" prunyon's Avatar
    Reeds were in good shape, nothing else replaced. I will go ahead and rebuild the carbs and replace all fuel lines and clean out all other components. Can someone explain what "loading up" actually feels like? That way I know whether I need to richen or lean the mixture. I will also check to make sure I don't have any leaks in the pulse lines.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Loading up refers to normally when Idling for a period of time. The carbs will allow to much fuel,which will pool in the crankcase because of the lack of high vacuum being drawn thru the engine. Then when you suddenly open the throttle the extra fuel is drawn into the cyls and causes a temp. rich condition. It will make it feel boggy or hesitent.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Loading up is a rich condition. It will hesitate for a second and then take off like a bat outa Hell.

Lean conditions, just fall flat and want to die.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

specs

96slx lows 1 3/8 highs m 1 1/8,c 7/8,p 1 1/4
    95slx lows 1/2 highs m 7/8,c 3/4,p 1 1/8
    96slt lows 5/8 highs m 3/4,c 3/4,p 1
    ec78pwe-03/04 is 96 slx
    ec78pwe-02/05 is 96 slt

Thread Information