+1

RPM gain from better air intake?

I currently have a Riva Stage 2 setup that runs great, goes 75 - 76 mph at 8000 rpms with the Riva cold air intake in the stock position, no additional air mods. I was thinking about playing with a rear air intake setup, but was curious how many rpms people have gained by going from the Riva setup to something better ...

Vern -I'm not really sure about rpm, but i can tell you that I picked up .5-.8 lb of boost on my B kit going from 3" to 4" air intake.

Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Vern
    I currently have a Riva Stage 2 setup that runs great, goes 75 - 76 mph at 8000 rpms with the Riva cold air intake in the stock position, no additional air mods. I was thinking about playing with a rear air intake setup, but was curious how many rpms people have gained by going from the Riva setup to something better ...
    I think I gained from mine. I could definately tell a difference by the Hoss shoulder meter.

Here is what I've been telling people.
    Hook a smooth bore tube to your SC and have it come up out of the engine compartment. Take the seat off and do a speed run with it. Then put your Riva back on and do another speed run. Then you have a back to back with what would be close to a rear intake without modifying anything.

i have never used the riva power filter set up but i have a 4" air intake up to glove box with glove box removed. i can tell you i ran 73.3 with JUST riva stage 1 components, rideplate holes filled, and 4" air intake i just described...in 90+ degrees. no other mods.

ever tried to drink a thick milkshake through a straw...same idea. the sc is pulling this massive amount of air though a small tube, which causes friction which = bad. what you need is a bigger volume..ie bigger diameter tube. obviously cooler air helps out tremendously as does the length of the tube (shorter the better). the sc has a bigger volume of air "on tap" so to speak, for instant throttle response. plus its cheaper .

ill post some pics over the weekend, the sc whine sounds f'n wicked
    Last edited by mxl16; 07-06-2006 at 01:13 PM.

+1
    Got it, thanks guys. I may play with some air intake ideas this weekend.

+1
    You might double check on how lean a Riva Stage II would be with more air volume. I thought I remembered them saying to only use their intake.

it wont lean it out enough to cause any problems. Im curious why they didn't at least make a 4 inch Power Filter for the Stage 3 Kits considering the new SC housing which flows more volume.

Thread Information