SL750 Safe/95 SL750 Limp home mode. Runs, but barely over idle.

Okay,
    Hoping to get some well needed assistance on here. I have a 1995 SL750, it had a serious bilge problem, and all of the responses allowed me to fix the bildge issue. Thanks

My new problem!

Took the ski out this weekend. Started accross the wake area pretty slow, once I cleard, I started off kind of slow. I got into open water and open it up.

I didn't go very far at all, it then died on me! I started it up and tried to take off, but it would not go hardly at all. Finally, I got it going almost at an idle speed or barely over.

Now, I start off and try to give it the throttle slowly, once it get's to a certain point it just cuts out, stalls, or bogs out. But it's not like I'm giving it much before it happens.

I changed the plugs, it did not fix the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? The tank is 3/4 full of gas. The oil tank is full and there is no water in the water separator.

If equipped, how do you reset the safe/limp home mode. Or can anyone provide me with help?

Thanks in advance,
    John

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Did you check inside the electrical box to ensure it is dry inside?

Sounds like you will need to run it strapped to the trailer for future testing, rather than traveling out on the water. Properly strapped to the trailer and backed into the water enough to submerge the entire jet pump, with the tow vehicle brakes set, you can test the throttle without worrying about getting stranded. Also easier to operate with the seat off, when strapped to the trailer.

Since you have had significant water inside the hull, you need to check the electrical box for moisture. If that is dry, then you may need to check the flywheel housing for water inside (which us where the electrical stator lives).

I am sure others will also have other checks you can do.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Have you done any updating to the fuel system? Or at the least, gone through the carbs recently?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I agree with Xlint,Run thru the fuel system before you burn something down.

+1
    pull the heads and take a picture or check to see if any damage has been done/ or take a compression test...

I had the same problem....is the mfd displaying anything?
    did you have to hold the choke lever at all to get it to go over just the idle? if so you may be running the cylinders lean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Did you check inside the electrical box to ensure it is dry inside?

Sounds like you will need to run it strapped to the trailer for future testing, rather than traveling out on the water. Properly strapped to the trailer and backed into the water enough to submerge the entire jet pump, with the tow vehicle brakes set, you can test the throttle without worrying about getting stranded. Also easier to operate with the seat off, when strapped to the trailer.

Since you have had significant water inside the hull, you need to check the electrical box for moisture. If that is dry, then you may need to check the flywheel housing for water inside (which us where the electrical stator lives).

I am sure others will also have other checks you can do.

even if it is dry i would still pull the electrical board to see if there is corrosion on the back of it that may be causing electrical shorts

Didn't hold the choke up!

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla03 View Post
    pull the heads and take a picture or check to see if any damage has been done/ or take a compression test...

did you have to hold the choke lever at all to get it to go over just the idle? if so you may be running the cylinders lean

I didn't have to hold the choke up, it idled and started without having to pull on the choke. Not sure what it is, I will check the box today for moisture and see if the mfd is showing anything.

Thanks, John

Yeap, Blown piston.

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla03 View Post

Yeap, I have a small hole in my piston closest to the front of the ski. Looking to buy a new piston.

My questions is, what does the following mean?? I'm not sure which one i need, can anyone help me.
    3A:
    SET,PISTON,.010/.25MM O/S
    3D:
    SET,PISTON,.020/.50MM O/S

Thanks,
    John

Thread Information