Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rive D plate or Jetworks Plate

Ive decided that I will do 1 engine mod - remove the cat. To benefit from cooler temps and not having to worry about the cat.

Ive searced and get mixed and equal reviews. Wanted to see if anyone had any other opinions or info on these two since the design is very different. thanks!

+1
    Riva D-plate for the 1300

The more I have been looking and searching around on this site the more I find that the hotter exhasut actually helps performance. Any ideas or opinions on just leaving the cat on?

Quote Originally Posted by jcorallo View Post
    The more I have been looking and searching around on this site the more I find that the hotter exhasut actually helps performance. Any ideas or opinions on just leaving the cat on?
    Don't!!!

At around 50 hours (or earlier!), the cat will start to break up and deposit pieces of itself into your waterbox... if you're lucky (like me), it'll just separate from its housing and lodge the whole thing down the pipe.

Either way, it'll restrict exhaust flow and you'll start getting exhaust overtemp sirens sounding off.

It's cheap, easy, and from my experiences makes the ski feel a tad bit more responsive.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jcorallo View Post
    Thats why we re-route the water to the pipe

Same happen to mine at 65 hours cat broke up and caused over heat buzzer to go off. Went with Riva d plate.

+1
    Keeping the Cat in the pipe helps in restricting the flow as well as heating the exhaust gases and for this reason it can be a good thing. Restricting your exhaust flow (to a point) and heating your exhaust gases can increase your rpms. I believe that Carl at LI racing kept his cat con in his 1200 for the longest time for these reasons. Carl was way ahead of the curve for years in developeing the GPR, and for a long time we followed his lead. The down side to the cat con is what has been described.... they break apart and fail, leaving you to make a choice between buying another expensive cat con or a cheap "D" plate.

Since then we have learned that to increase the heat in the exhaust pipe we just dump the water that goes to the pipe overboard. This makes for a faster sonic wave and better fuel scavageing.

We restrict the exhaust flow by using an R&D style "D" plate which has a smaller hole in the plate than the so called RIVA "D" plate. Both of these mods together help us recover rpms that we loose when we pull the cat con.

By doing these two mods, we are in essence copying what the cat con does, and at the same time make our boats more reliable.... "D" plates don't break.
    Last edited by salty; 06-25-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Keeping the Cat in the pipe helps in restricting the flow as well as heating the exhaust gases and for this reason it can be a good thing. Restricting your exhaust flow (to a point) and heating your exhaust gases can increase your rpms. I believe that Carl at LI racing kept his cat con in his 1200 for the longest time for these reasons. Carl was way ahead of the curve for years in developeing the GPR, and for a long time we followed his lead. The down side to the cat con is what has been described.... they break apart and fail, leaving you to make a choice between buying another expensive cat con or a cheap "D" plate.

Since then we have learned that to increase the heat in the exhaust pipe we just dump the water that goes to the pipe overboard. This makes for a faster sonic wave and better fuel scavageing.

We restrict the exhaust flow by using an R&D style "D" plate which has a smaller hole in the plate than the so called RIVA "D" plate. Both of these mods together help us recover rpms that we loose when we pull the cat con.

By doing these two mods, we are in essence copying what the cat con does, and at the same time make our boats more reliable.... "D" plates don't break.

Ok Salty - totally makes sense. so 2 questions. Do you like the rive plate or R&D better?

And how is this water modification done. Ive been through all the pump mods but havent messed with any engine mods yet.

Thanks!

Definently go with the Riva D plate on a 1300, the hole on the r&D is too small.

Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    Definently go with the Riva D plate on a 1300, the hole on the r&D is too small.
    GIGGITY!

But in all seriousness, go with what voodoo said.

I've always wondered though... what would happen if someone designed a venturi nozzle in place of the normal d- or o-plate... it would provide the proper amount of backpressure, but would flow much better... hmm...
    Last edited by cincygpr; 06-25-2008 at 06:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information