Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

4 in Intake Question

I just got done with installing my shorty waterbox and now onto the 4in intake. I have run the Lowes 4in drainpipe. That was a pain in the butt. I am wondering how to attach the Spectre air filter I bought at Auto Zone to the 4in drainpipe. The air filter goes up to 4in, but the drainpipe's OD is larger than 4in. Help.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieMWD View Post
    I just got done with installing my shorty waterbox and now onto the 4in intake. I have run the Lowes 4in drainpipe. That was a pain in the butt. I am wondering how to attach the Spectre air filter I bought at Auto Zone to the 4in drainpipe. The air filter goes up to 4in, but the drainpipe's OD is larger than 4in. Help.....
    I used a Spectre polished aluminum 4 inch adapter..Slide It inside the hose
    and clamp it down using a 4 inch hose clamp..Then slide the other end into your filter doing the same...

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.9709

+1
    You can try making a short cut in the pipe and overlap itself before inserting the filter.

I ripped out the aluminum piping for the 4 inch intake except from up front. Essentially started over.
    the attachment is a drawing showing the top view and a side view of the from the battery to the filter
    This set up made the IC piping install a heck of a lot and the occassional SC maintenance easier.

I will take some pix when I get home
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	air intake.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	79439  

Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar
    I am in the process of making an all aluminum or Stainless Steel 4" intake kit.

This will include a Cone filter with wrap
    all piping cut and bent to size with a welded bracket and all silicone hoses and bends.....

When I am done we will test it.
    Get a parts list together.
    Cost to make it production wise and see if it is a Viable part for you guys

Questions may be well why use metal it conducts heat..... Well yes it does however you dont have a 10,000.00 HP Drag Car where that really matters....Also the inside is smooth and air can move more freely as well as a larger diameter pipe to allow more air the only problem I see is at the throttle where it goes back down to a 3" I am thinking that maybe a new throttle body would be nice. And I know they make a reducing coupling but I would like it to be 4" all the way.

I am trying to cover all basis with this one so any questions will be welcome as I am trying to come up with a good product for all of us and trying to keep cost low......If interested in this let me know...If not then I will have one of a kind setup....well maybe I am shure there are others who have done this to.....
    Last edited by phoenixcustoms; 06-24-2008 at 09:06 PM.

When I was installing the 4in intake I noticed that the clear hose that comes off the coolant overflow bottle wasn't plugged in anywhere. Where does it go?

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Robbie... it just hangs down in the hull. Position it so if you over heat the water will purge into the bottom without spraying anything.

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    i went to home depot in the plumbing section and found a 4 inch pve fitting that worked

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixcustoms View Post
    I am in the process of making an all aluminum or Stainless Steel 4" intake kit.

This will include a Cone filter with wrap
    all piping cut and bent to size with a welded bracket and all silicone hoses and bends.....

When I am done we will test it.
    Get a parts list together.
    Cost to make it production wise and see if it is a Viable part for you guys

Questions may be well why use metal it conducts heat..... Well yes it does however you dont have a 10,000.00 HP Drag Car where that really matters....Also the inside is smooth and air can move more freely as well as a larger diameter pipe to allow more air the only problem I see is at the throttle where it goes back down to a 3" I am thinking that maybe a new throttle body would be nice. And I know they make a reducing coupling but I would like it to be 4" all the way.

I am trying to cover all basis with this one so any questions will be welcome as I am trying to come up with a good product for all of us and trying to keep cost low......If interested in this let me know...If not then I will have one of a kind setup....well maybe I am shure there are others who have done this to.....

Interested. Is this a "front compartment to supercharger inlet" design, or a rear intake? Are you talking about replacing all of the IC piping as well (possibly combining with a stock IC relocation )?

Either way... I'm interested. It looks like I'm going to pick up the R&D filter along with some other mods for now. If a 4" intake was available right now, I would buy it right now for a semi-resonable price. It it starts to get as expensive as the Riva Rear-Air for the P-X ($400), then I might think twice. I would stick with aluminium as it's lighter and doesn't heat up as much as stainless. You can powder coat it for pretty cheap if worried about aluminium corrosion I guess.

Keep us informed, and post some pics (or PM me) if/when you can.

-=Mike G.

Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey G. View Post
    Interested. Is this a "front compartment to supercharger inlet" design, or a rear intake? Are you talking about replacing all of the IC piping as well (possibly combining with a stock IC relocation )?

Either way... I'm interested. It looks like I'm going to pick up the R&D filter along with some other mods for now. If a 4" intake was available right now, I would buy it right now for a semi-resonable price. It it starts to get as expensive as the Riva Rear-Air for the P-X ($400), then I might think twice. I would stick with aluminium as it's lighter and doesn't heat up as much as stainless. You can powder coat it for pretty cheap if worried about aluminium corrosion I guess.

Keep us informed, and post some pics (or PM me) if/when you can.

-=Mike G.
    Well as of right now we are looking at doing a front compartment for now and if things take off we will look into a short stack system and a rear air system. I am also looking into a relocation setup for the intercooler and replacing all the IC piping to aluminum.

We looked into it a little more and did find that SS would just be to expensive to produce and you guys would be paying a fortune for the kits...And for me thats just not going to happen....I am looking for the right price not the highest price because we have the monolpoly on the parts as some buisness models work.

We are going to go with the aluminum....As of right now I am trying to keep these prices down...Due to having this kit you will also have to have a Oil Breather Catch Can..Which is another cost involved..I am still not shure If I want to make one of my own, Make you guys make or buy one.
    or just buy a bunch of RIVA's $100.00 Plus setups....

Also Check this product and see what you think....

http://www.jazproducts.com/breather_tanks.html

1 QUART BREATHER

I went to SECO today and took a look at this....Great product....A few things though...Its A Big one....Its not clear for visual inspection of oil....plus's are that you can adapt the fittings....and has 2 holes formed in the material for mounting.....Like I said this thing is HUDGE. .It only cost like $45.00 retail as well....I should be buying this monday and taking a pic with my hand next to it just to show you how big this thing is.....I would like something smaller...and I am still looking into that.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information