Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

'95 xp 800 battery light flashes

well i got out for the first time yesterday and I must say I noticed a HUGE difference in speed with the r&d nozzle....well here's the problem though yesterday i'd say i used about one bar of fuel...going full throttle....and then alot of no wake speed until i notice the battery indicater on the guage just blinking ever so often so i shut it down and waited a good 10minutes just to see what happens, i go to start it up and it still does that....by that time there were really bad storms coming and i had to rush and get back so then going wot I notice the battery light stays on...what's up with that light? The battery is new(may 200

also i notice from almost a dead stop when i punch it cavitates until i back off a little and then punch it again, it doesn't do it any other time

Check the charging system. Test your battery voltage before the first start of the day, then test it after you start the engine. If you don't see the battery power increase from cold no start to started and running, then the rectifier might need to be replaced. The only other thing that comes to mind right now is a potential stator failure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    Check the charging system. Test your battery voltage before the first start of the day, then test it after you start the engine. If you don't see the battery power increase from cold no start to started and running, then the rectifier might need to be replaced. The only other thing that comes to mind right now is a potential stator failure.
    well the more i think about it ever since I installed this new battery the light was on....could it be that i overcharge the battery?

It depends on how long you charged the battery...if you boiled it dry then yeah it will discharge on it's own. But if it's new and has only been charged over night it should be fine unless it was defective from new. Have it load tested, if it passes...charge it again, let it sit for a couple of hours and test it's voltage. Then leave it to sit out of the ski for a couple of days and test the voltage again...if it has dropped significantly from the last voltage check then the battery is defective.

+1
    I will check the charging system this weekend...I'm going to rule out the stator just because if i would have run it all day, the battery should just be about dead but it starts up fine...I had the stator problem on a older seadoo and the battery would not stay charged after running a long period of time

+1
    The little black wire that goes on the negative side of the battery wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it?

I can't remember what it's for but it needs to be hooked up. 96XPSS knows what it's for. Try it anyway and see if the light goes out.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by gorilla03 View Post
    The little black wire that goes on the negative side of the battery wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it?
    Normally it would not run or spark if disconnected. This is the ground for the ignition coil, inside the black box. You must be getting a ground elsewhere for it to run, but it should still charge as the large ground from the engine is used for the charging system.

The light should come on if battery voltage drops below 12 volts. Either the battery isn't accepting a charge or you still have problems with your charging system.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Normally it would not run or spark if disconnected. This is the ground for the ignition coil, inside the black box. You must be getting a ground elsewhere for it to run, but it should still charge as the large ground from the engine is used for the charging system.

The light should come on if battery voltage drops below 12 volts. Either the battery isn't accepting a charge or you still have problems with your charging system.
    okay, I guess what i'll do is check the voltage on the battery asap and see what i've got, like i said it did it right away the first time trying to start it this season(I didn't see the light come on at all at the end of the last season so i wouldn't know how it could of happend over winter)

...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1
    Check the Ring Terminals on the Cables too for any corrosion or if they are tarnished. If so, hit 'em with some sand paper and get them nice, clean, and shiny.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information