Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    LadyStarryEyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coffeyville, Kansas
    Posts
    23

    1995 Polaris SL750

    I just got this at what I thought was a great deal along with another 1996 Polaris SL780 and dual trailer. They were salt water doos, but now fresh. After having them sent to the shop to be flushed and checked out and tuned they seem to run fine...for a while. The 780 we know is the crossover that had a melt area when we got, I have ordered and we will try and see if it continues to melt. The 750 need a diaphragm in the carb...supposedly, This doo is fast! I can tell it has alot more to give but surges at full throttle, ie...like it isnt gas accasionally?? (A good description would be drive in ur car and go fast but hit ur brakes every 3 secs) and will die most of the time if doing stunts on it or opening it up...I have no idea why it continues to do this but it seems to be getting worse...any suggestions??


  2. #2
    SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids,Iowa
    Posts
    6,381
    +1
    23
    Welcome to the Hulk
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyStarryEyed View Post
    I just got this at what I thought was a great deal along with another 1996 Polaris SL780 and dual trailer. They were salt water doos, but now fresh. After having them sent to the shop to be flushed and checked out and tuned they seem to run fine...for a while. The 780 we know is the crossover that had a melt area when we got, I have ordered and we will try and see if it continues to melt.
    Can you be a little clearer on what melted.
    The 750 need a diaphragm in the carb...supposedly, This doo is fast! I can tell it has alot more to give but surges at full throttle, ie...like it isnt gas accasionally?? (A good description would be drive in ur car and go fast but hit ur brakes every 3 secs) and will die most of the time if doing stunts on it or opening it up...I have no idea why it continues to do this but it seems to be getting worse...any suggestions??
    The First place to start is a fuel system overhaul on the skis,I would clean and rebuild the carbs and also change all the fuel lines including the ones in the gas tank as they tend to decay. You really don't want to run a ski with carb problems as they can run lean. Running lean will cause a burnt piston leading to alot of money. We can help walk you thru the rebuild or maybe someone's in your area could help out.
    Post some pictures of your ski's,we love to see pictures!

  3. #3
    LadyStarryEyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coffeyville, Kansas
    Posts
    23

    More Specifics

    Ok...The 96 SL780 had a melted exhaust crossover pipe(rubber) it was not completely melted but enuff that the doo has no power left in it. I have this doo ready to go just waitng on part to show Thursday and unless I am wrong(and it melts again) I won't need answers on this one hahaha...the 95 SL 750 however is a completely different story! After spending almost 500 on parts and labor to get this doo to stop doing a surge thing I call it....and dying in the myst of wide open throttle or tricks on it(which btw will make u hit the water really hard! hehe) I have resorted to trying to figure it out myself! I had it put into a shop and supposedly the diaphragm was bad in the carb, they replaced it and the doo did in fact run better, but the surge is still there and it dies alot if attempting to have any fun at all on it! Almost like it loses fuel in the line and then it will start back up and go...it is annoying tho and I know it will get worse if I dont find the source of it. I am not sure how to post pics but I will if ya tell me how!

  4. #4
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,593
    +1
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyStarryEyed View Post
    ... I am not sure how to post pics but I will if ya tell me how!
    Welcome to the Hulk!

    To post pictures, reply to any Post in Advanced Mode, scroll down to Manage Attachments, add your JPG pictures (maximum of six per post).

    Click Preview to confirm your post looks correct, then click Submit when you are ready.

  5. #5
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,330
    +1
    31
    Welcome to the Hulk. There are a number of fuel related issues you should address with both of the skis. More than likely, the filters are plugged or has water in the fuel.

    It may also be time to rebuild or replace the fuel pump. I'd definately replace the fuel hoses though. Be on the look out for the fuel restrictor inside the return hose of the 750. You'll need to re-install it. The 780 doesn't have an external restrictor.

  6. #6
    LadyStarryEyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coffeyville, Kansas
    Posts
    23
    Fuel was drained because I originally thought it had bad gas and that was the cause...I also pulled my receipt and they did in fact rebuild my carb and changed the lines completely on the ski...so I am thinking fuel problem for sure...maybe bad restrictor...or pump..my problem is I dont really want to sink alot more into this ski would rather off it as is, before I go under on it! This ski runs better than the other right now but when I get the exhaust right again on other I will probably sell the 750...I do know it probably isnt a major problem I just dont have the time these days to search it out, guess I will keep trying things from here and see what happens maybe I will get lucky...I am a girl so not real skilled when it comes to rebuilding things but can install my own parts if needed! =)

  7. #7
    LadyStarryEyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coffeyville, Kansas
    Posts
    23
    I don't think I have advanced mode?? I can't find! I put pic of both skis as my profile pic tho LOL

  8. #8
    She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    17,330
    +1
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyStarryEyed View Post
    Fuel was drained because I originally thought it had bad gas and that was the cause...I also pulled my receipt and they did in fact rebuild my carb and changed the lines completely on the ski...so I am thinking fuel problem for sure...maybe bad restrictor...or pump..my problem is I dont really want to sink alot more into this ski would rather off it as is, before I go under on it! This ski runs better than the other right now but when I get the exhaust right again on other I will probably sell the 750...I do know it probably isnt a major problem I just dont have the time these days to search it out, guess I will keep trying things from here and see what happens maybe I will get lucky...I am a girl so not real skilled when it comes to rebuilding things but can install my own parts if needed! =)
    Don't get discouraged on this one. Fuel system can be done for under $100. Plus it sounds like most of it has been done already.

    If you can swap parts, we can guide you through any service work you think you can't handle. Believe me, it's not that tough to do.

    You said rebuild carb. Was that 1 carb or all 3?

  9. #9
    LadyStarryEyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coffeyville, Kansas
    Posts
    23

    Confused Now

    Ok now Im really confused 3 carbs??? Far as I know it was just 1 on each ski that he rebuilt...are there more than 1 carb to these things?

  10. #10
    LadyStarryEyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coffeyville, Kansas
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk. There are a number of fuel related issues you should address with both of the skis. More than likely, the filters are plugged or has water in the fuel.

    It may also be time to rebuild or replace the fuel pump. I'd definately replace the fuel hoses though. Be on the look out for the fuel restrictor inside the return hose of the 750. You'll need to re-install it. The 780 doesn't have an external restrictor.


    Ok What if there is a missing restrictor??? I have not seen this at all...what and where exactly do I look and what does the part look like?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 1995 Polaris SL750 with a trailer
    By motoxracing782 in forum Polaris Skis
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 11:43 AM
  2. 1995 Polaris SL750's
    By SCFirestopper in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-09-2008, 06:37 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2007, 03:54 PM
  4. 1995 Polaris sl750 Bilge pump question .
    By smittyj77 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 12:47 AM
  5. Newbie who purchased a 1995 Polaris SL750 and have some questions
    By Great_Outdoors_5911 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 10:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •