Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

back to back grate test for X?

Has anyone run a back to back test between a custom intake grate vs a R&D intake grate on the X models?

Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gba View Post
    Has anyone run a back to back test between a custom intake grate vs a R&D intake grate on the X models?
    No but I am wanting to do this real bad....I have a stock X and I am wanting to do a RIVA vs. R&D shootout. I have all the things needed to do this test as well....But I just cant go buy both intake grates test them and then send them back. Or keep one and try to get my money back for the other....I need someone to send me both of them and then I will just send both back. no Problem. I will also put down a refundable deposit to do this if they dont trust me.....Well whatever.....I am shure that someone here real soon will do this out of their own pocket...

Banned User
    +1
    Edit...changed my mind.
    Last edited by iflyems; 06-24-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Riva or R&D?

I'd like to try an intake grate on my RXP-X. Which is the best? I guess a better question is what are the trade offs? I don't expect to loose the hole shot and expect 3 (?) MPH increase. How about handling, rough water, chop... Weeds??

My opinion as of late is to just cut the stock grate. When I get above 71mph consistantly, then I'll drill the holes up into the pump shoe to help relieve any excess pressure (prevent overstuff). A user on here "BeachBum" got the same gains as the R&D/Riva as far as top speed goes, but since the stock grate still has the large opening into the pump tunnel (the R&D and Riva close off some of the opening) he kept the holeshot/accelleration as well.

I've been waiting for some other's to chime in on several other threads relating to cutting the stock grate and their results, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I want to make purchases now/soon, but don't want to waste $$$. To me, accelleration/holeshot is as important as top speed... if not more so.

-=Mike G.

+1
    The stock cut intake grate is the best IMO, but you will need to solve the stuffing issue. I haven't seen anyone report on if drilling the holes and using the stock cut grate works.

Stock cut grate is FAST.

Test Pilot and Racer for Hire phoenixcustoms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    Edit...changed my mind.
    PM me iflyems.....we can always talk off the tread....

Quote Originally Posted by haleyscomet View Post
    I'd like to try an intake grate on my RXP-X. Which is the best? I guess a better question is what are the trade offs? I don't expect to loose the hole shot and expect 3 (?) MPH increase. How about handling, rough water, chop... Weeds??
    From what I know......The R&D is supposed to give you better hook up in chop and rough water conditions give you 3MPH Top speed. From what I have heard the loss on the hole shot is not that noticable.

Here is R&D's Claim
    RXP-X Aquavein Intake Grate

+3 MPH TOP SPEED GAIN

Nothing Outperforms An Aquavein

The new Sea-Doo X watercraft are by far the meanest production personal watercraft the world has ever seen. Itís got power, lots of power! But is it enough? Can it be even better? At R&D Performance, getting more power and better handling is what WE-DOO BEST! Bolt on the new X Pro Series Aquavein Intake Grate and put that 255 horsepower to work! R&Dís exclusive dual patented technology thatís incorporated into the revolutionary Aquavein will enhance the X beast. Blow through low and high-speed turns with confidence and chew up rough water conditions with a new found 3 mph top speed gain. Quicker acceleration and straight-line stability are also maximized. The new X Sea-Doo, equipped with an R&D Aquavein cracks the glass on the fun meter!

Pt. # 113-95004 RXP-X Aqauvein Intake Grate
    Pt. # 113-95005 RXT-X Aqauvein Intake Grate

Now The RIVA's claim
    RIVA RXP-X/RXT-X Top-Loader Intake Grate Our top-loader intake grate features a unique tapered wing design that eliminates prop spin and cavitation while delivering enhanced acceleration and 2mph additional top-speed. Deep side rails improve stability and handling. Durable black race coating protects from corrosion. Race Legal. Fits all RXP-X & RXT-X models.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey G. View Post
    My opinion as of late is to just cut the stock grate. When I get above 71mph consistantly, then I'll drill the holes up into the pump shoe to help relieve any excess pressure (prevent overstuff). A user on here "BeachBum" got the same gains as the R&D/Riva as far as top speed goes, but since the stock grate still has the large opening into the pump tunnel (the R&D and Riva close off some of the opening) he kept the holeshot/accelleration as well.

I've been waiting for some other's to chime in on several other threads relating to cutting the stock grate and their results, but that doesn't seem to be happening. I want to make purchases now/soon, but don't want to waste $$$. To me, accelleration/holeshot is as important as top speed... if not more so.

-=Mike G.
    Well I am not a fan of cutting the factory grate....Do what you want...but to me cutting the factory then drilling hole in the shoe just doesn't sound likr a good idea....I know it works but just not my cup of tea...

Ive tested both grates, and with neither did I notice a loss in hole shot or acceleration. IMO, you will be ok with either, but dont use the reduction nozzle if you want to keep the above mentioned atributes.

+1
    I have run the stock cut grate (outer wings removed) at 78 mph with the holes drilled. IMO the R&D grate is the best, same performance as the riva but better hook up in chop.

I'm running the R&D intake grate on my X... I only had one chance to GPS it... I did 70.3 with a full tank of gas on a hot day with a little chop... to me the R&D grate is built stronger than the Riva one... the only thing i dont like about it, is that it doesn't comes in black...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information