Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1

beraing buddies. . . supposed to leave grease on the wheels

I don't trailer much, but last time, I pumped up the bearing buddies on my 2nd hand trailer and by the time I got home, I think all the grease ended up on the wheels Is that normal or is there a seal that usually goes bad that I can replace?

Thanks!

+1
    Mike, my trailer does the same thing and I think its because I put a little too much drease in them. When the bearing gets a little warm, the grease expands and pushes a little bit out. I may be wrong, but this is what I tell myself.

+1
    The bearing buddies are designed to do this, it's just getting rid of extra grease. You can buy the bearing buddy bra to go over the buddy, and that will catch any extra grease, preventing it from spilling on the wheels.

what is the recommended amount of grease to put in?

your supposed to pump enough in until the plate/spring comes all the way out to the retaining clip. it will then force the grease into the bearings and hub as the wheel rotates. they always leave a mess. when I was using Amsoil blue grease it would get so liquidy that it would still drip out of the expansion hole. even with the bra on... basically the bra is just to keep crap out of the external mechanism...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I use the Kodiak Red-Eye bearing protectors on my Triton Elite WC-2.

The design is different, and I have had zero or nearly zero grease come back out the front. It stays inside, under pressure, and slowly works its way out the weep hole/seal at the back of the wheel bearing. I put a dust cap over each one, but they are clean in the inside when I remove them to check the grease level indicator (the 'red eye')

Bearing Buddy may have the trade name, but perhaps not the best product design.

Last edited by K447; 07-20-2008 at 11:27 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I use the Kodiak Red-Eye bearing protectors on my Triton Elite WC-2.

The design is different, and I have had zero or nearly zero grease come back out the front. It stays inside, under pressure, and slowly works its way out the weep hole/seal at the back of the wheel bearing. I put a dust cap over each one, but they are clean in the inside when I remove them to s=check the grease level indicator (the 'red eye')

Bearing Buddy may have the trade name, but perhaps not the best product design.

Yep! I use the same one's and they work great! A killer deal at wally-world for about $14 a pair...

The only thing I have noticed with them is that the "chrome" on the outside is peeling on the first set that I have on one trailer.. But no greasy wheels..

+1
    So i should be able to find those things at wally world? waht about bearings and seals. . . Might as well do that while I'm in there. anny recommendations? it's a 97 karavan single.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted View Post
    So i should be able to find those things at wally world? waht about bearings and seals. . . Might as well do that while I'm in there. anny recommendations? it's a 97 karavan single.
    yep, wally world.. If they don't have em' local let me know and I'll grab you a set and either send them up or bring them with me to TJ's..

As for bearings, I've always just bought new hubs with the bearings already done for about $25-30 a hub just to make life easy.
    Doug

+1
    I'll check it out. I'd like to bring the single trailer to TJ's just because driving a double on the parkway is tedious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information